Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

kubeadm

Options
ryankbales
ryankbales Posts: 5
edited February 2017 in LFS258 Class Forum

I decided to use Minikube for this course in section 4.  After becoming familiar with Minikube, the course content started talking about  kubeadm.  When entering

kubeadm init

I receive:

-bash: kubeadm: command not found

I am within the Minikube context when I run this.  Maybe I am misunderstanding where this command is to be used.

`kubectl version` returns

Client Version: version.Info{Major:"1", Minor:"4", GitVersion:"v1.4.7", GitCommit:"92b4f971662de9d8770f8dcd2ee01ec226a6f6c0", GitTreeState:"clean", BuildDate:"2016-12-10T04:49:33Z", GoVersion:"go1.7.1", Compiler:"gc", Platform:"darwin/amd64"}

Comments

• sportebois
    Options

I suppose you saw the 4.10 slide, "Installing Kubernetes with kubeadmin"

In this slide, the hyperlink send you to https://kubernetes.io/docs/getting-started-guides/kubeadm/  , and although this documentation might not be the most explicit for newcomers like us,you'll find there that kubeadm is not installed with kubectl, but could/should be installed manually, like (depending on your package manager)

apt-get install -y kubelet kubeadm kubectl kubernetes
  • sebgoa
    sebgoa Posts: 23
    edited February 2017
    Options

This chapter introduces different ways of installing Kubernetes.

kubeadm is a tool that allows you to create a Kubernetes cluster.

minikube is a tool that allows you to create a local standalone Kubernetes environment (single node) running in a local VM.

You don't need to use kubeadm with minikube. With minikube, Kubernetes is already running, that's why kubeadm is not available and not needed.

You would use kubeadm only if you wanted to create a Kubernetes cluster (with multiple nodes) on your own.

I will modify the slides to clear up the confusion,

-sebastien

• ryankbales
    Options

Thanks Sebastien.  This makes sense now.

Categories

Upcoming Training