Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Who is passing "mate-session" to Xsession?

KenJackson
KenJackson Posts: 5
edited December 2016 in System Management

I'm trying to change the desktop manager that LightDM starts up.  I've determined that "mate-session" is always passed to /etc/X11/xinit/Xsession, no matter what configuration parameters I set for LightDM.  I can't figure out where that parameter is coming from.

Ideally, I would like my ~/.xsession script to start a various applications and a session manager of my choice.  But Xsession never gets to the point where it considers that file because it was passed a parameter.

The greeter doesn't have any menu to choose a desktop manager the way some greeters do.

I really would like to know where the heck the parameter is coming from.

Comments

• Hi,

The file is /etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter-ubuntu-mate.conf and it contains the picture used when you boot up Mate. This is on Trusty Mate 14.04. but all versions of Mate have the same file location. You can further check here and update it as per your requirements. 

• saqman2060
    saqman2060 Posts: 777
    edited January 2017

When you say desktop manager, are you referring to the desktop environment that provides the GUI controls to operate your machine or "display-manager" which is the GUI login box that asks for the username and password.

If you are indeed referring to the "desktop-manager" then you may have to install different desktop-managers so the "display-manager" can give you options of what desktop-managers to choose. Right now, it appears you only have the "mate" DE installed. Trying installing XFCE, LXDE or others. 

By the way, what Linux distro are you using?

Categories

Upcoming Training