Training > Linux Kernel Development > A Beginner’s Guide to Linux Kernel Development (LFD103)
Training Course

A Beginner’s Guide to Linux Kernel Development (LFD103)

Learn how to become a Linux kernel developer and contributor with this free training course.

Course Rating
4.5/5 Stars
Who Is It For

This course is intended for developers who need to know about the Linux kernel development process and the explicit and implicit “rules of the road”.
read less read more
What You’ll Learn

Through this course you will learn how to select and configure your development system, about Linux Kernel repositories and releases, Git basics including checking out kernel repositories and working with them, how to build and install a kernel, Linux kernel enforcement standards, how to write kernel patches and test them, how to communicate with the kernel community, how to send patches, how to act on feedback from reviewers and more.
read less read more
What It Prepares You For

This course will prepare you to configure a development system, use git, write kernel patches, test patches, write commit logs, send patches, and work with the Linux kernel community.
read less read more
Course Outline
Chapter 1. Course Introduction
Chapter 2. Linux Kernel Development Process
Chapter 3. Patches
Chapter 4. Working with the Linux Kernel Community
Chapter 5. Configuring Your Development System
Chapter 6. Exploring Linux Kernel Sources
Chapter 7. Building and Installing Your First Kernel
Chapter 8. Writing Your First Kernel Patch
Chapter 9. Getting Your Patch Ready and Sending It
Chapter 10. Kernel and Driver Building, Loading and Dependencies
Chapter 11. All About Testing
Chapter 12. Debugging Basics
Chapter 13. Tips to Continue Your Kernel Journey
Chapter 14. Frequently Asked Questions

Prerequisites
To make the most of this course you will need to be:

• Proficient in C and Shell.
  • Kernel development experience desired (not required)
Reviews
Aug 2023
I liked the usage of kernel scripts and tools, as well as the sections about debugging and tracing.
Aug 2023
Covered everything that I expected it would cover at the suitable technical level, which is rare for a "beginners" course, as it is usually oversimplified.
Jul 2023
I liked the explanation of the Linux system from scratch; easy to understand for beginners.
Jun 2023
I liked the straightforwardness of the content, and the external links given in each chapter for self exploration.
May 2023
What's great is that the author is a practitioner in the field she teaches. You can see a tremendous amount of freedom in discussing particular issues.