Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Questions about Arch linux..

So after discovering the latest Ubuntu release, I've decided to change linux distros. Ubuntu decided to go the user-friendly path with it's new update. I've always gone for somewhere in between user friendly and complex, and I should probably choose one or the other, so I'm interested in Arch Linux, and I have a few questions about it.

Is it a command line installer? I've heard you'll need to check out the wiki guide on installing, problem is can I view it while installing? otherwise I'm gonna have to print it out, which is a pain (since I don't have a separate laptop). I've heard Gentoo is the most confusing linux OS out there, and Arch looks pretty complex as well, so how confusing it in comparison?

Also, what desktop environment does it use?

I have no more blank cd's at the moment, so I'm going to install Linux Mint for now, but I would like to move onto something else at some point.

Comments

• Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Gentoo requires you to compile everything yourself. Arch, while having pre-compiled applications in its repositories, requires you to setup the distro yourself. Which means, you initialize your network, and you setup the config files yourself. While both distros come with good documentation, you should get used to Linux before you partake of the distros made for more experienced users. Then again, I learned more from running distro like Debian Sid, than I did from running PCLinuxOS. Take it one step at a time and it will be less confusing.
  • What would you suggest for a good medium level linux distro? I might just install linux mint for the time being, I have some stuff going on irl that I need to sort out before trying to figure out a more complex OS. I don't mind reading through a wiki install guide though, only problem is that you can't view the page while installing, which is hard considering I don't have a separate laptop to look at.

But I do like trying to figure stuff out, always have. Plus, the idea of an OS as agile and customizable as Gentoo or Arch intrigues me.
  • marc
    marc Posts: 647
    It's been a while since I used a cd to install linux: always use a USB stick :)

Archlinux is complicated for the average "Joe" but I find it to be a wonderful os that keeps out of the way on my system: it just does what I tell it to do!

It's been long since I last used Gentoo although I remember it pretty similar in difficulty of administration as Archlinux. The package management configuration it's indeed more complicated though.

About the archlinux installation, I would really suggest you have the documentation available while you are installing (i never use it but I guess I feel really comfortable with Arch already ;) ).

Regards
  • Don't you run out of space on a usb stick? or do you have a separate partition on your hard drive for that

Categories

Upcoming Training