Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Whats New with Linux

srvrtk
srvrtk Posts: 2
edited October 2011 in Getting Started with Linux

Hi I have not used linux for a long time.

I wanted to get back into using linux, I wanted to strat with some testing. What is the best options out there right now for linux server distros. Linux OS is still freely downloaded correct? I asked because I used redhat but I went to their site and everything so far seem to want to sell me the OS with some sort of service or an evaluation of the OS.

In the past i would just download the ISOs from the ftp site directly.

Or like in the past almost any distro is ok as long as I can get the drivers and programs for the services needed on the svr?

Thanks

Comments

• For a server

Debian stable
    or my preferred ScientificLinux 6.1
    or CentOS 6.0 - 6.1 not out yet
    They are rebuilds of RHEL 6.0 & 6.1

these are not for the normal everyday Desktop install
    but are very stable repackaging of Red Hat

for a "everyday Desktop install "
    i would use Ubuntu 11.10 for a debian based
    or OpenSUSE 11.4 for a rpm based ( not red hat based )
  • what is linux.give me some information about
    it.
    i am new in this field.
    which site should i use in order to study about
    linux completely
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Linux is the name of the kernel (drivers and core libraries) that is used by all Linux based distributions. Linux based distributions are Unix-like and generally open source operating systems which run on open source software.

There are 300+ different Linux-bases Distributions available, most of which are free. The non-free (commercial) distributions include RedHat, Suse and a few others. In most cases with free distributions you can visit the product's website and download the CD/DVD image and freely install the OS onto your computer. You can get a fairly good list of Linux Distros are www.distrowatch.com

Linux and Unix based operating systems are functionally different from window do to different core structures, libraries and application sets. In addition nearly all of the software and drivers are open source which means that they have been developed by a group of volunteers which are using open source licenses that allow the users to freely customize or reprogram any aspect of the software.
  • srvrtk
    srvrtk Posts: 2
    Thanks johnvanvliet
  • saqman2060
    saqman2060 Posts: 777
    edited October 2011
    @srvtk

I'll keep it brief and give you the systems I prefer for servers.

1) debian squeeze
    2)ubuntu server 10.10
    3)centOS
    4)fedora

These distros are freely downloaded from www.linux.com, www.distrowatch.com and from the distros' website. I like the debain/ubuntu based systems for desktop and servers because they incorporate methods for easy software installation and system administration. If you want a system for testing, I prefer to use, Debian core, slackware, or Archlinux. Happy hunting.

Categories

Upcoming Training