Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

GRUB RESCUE after Ubuntu 10.10 -> 11.04 upgrade

Options

So to start off I'm a complete Linux newb, and I originally installed Ubuntu 10.10 to learn a little more about it.

I have a laptop and a desktop. Both computers had Ubuntu 10.10 installed on them. On the laptop Ubuntu was installed in a dual boot configuration on a single partitioned hard drive. On my desktop Ubuntu had it's own separate drive. I have 4 other hard drives 1 TB each running in a RAID 10 setup. I upgraded from 10.10 -> 11.04 on my laptop first and it went off without any problem.

When I upgraded 10.10 -> 11.04 on my desktop all hell broke loose. I choose all the same options as the laptop upgrade, but it didn't work out as well, lol. I think the problem originated at the end of the upgrade when it asks you about the boot configuration. I chose the first option which was something like "use the manufacturers boot blah blah". When the computer restarted it went through the POST and I was left at a "grub rescue>" prompt. I messed around with a program called Rescatux. I think what I ended up doing was installing a MBR to the sde drive which is my separate hard drive for Ubuntu. I changed the boot order in my BIOS to the separate drive with Ubuntu first and now it will boot into Ubuntu fine but it has no boot loader.

My question and probably complicated is, how do I restore it to the way it was before? With the GRUB2 boot loader and the option to boot into Windows 7 (on my four hard drives in RAID 10 setup) along with the option of booting into Ubuntu 11.04 on the separate drive?? I have a boot script text file output that was generated from the Rescatux program. Should I post the output to this thread? Not even sure what's in the text file.

Thank you in advance for any help restoring my system to a working condition (mainly Windows 7)

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Options
    It sounds like the entries in the Grub configuration files are pointing to the wrong partitions or are using the wrong options.

I recommend booting into ubuntu, running the OS-prober to find the windows 7 installation and then write the new configuration file to the MBR. You can a good guide to using, modifying and installing Grub2 at http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/grub-2.html#mozTocId835620

Categories

Upcoming Training