Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Does New Mandriva 2011 (Hydrozen) make sense??

I was very disappointed with Mandriva 2011, for simple reason that they have discontinued Gnome from this issue onwards....... what do they loose, well, KDE might be very stable and all that.... But, Gnome is easier to use specially for Graphic Designer's like myself and I am sure same it will be for people interested in Video Editing, DTP, Graphics for Broadcast media too....

All of the streams mentioned above are left in cold by company which mean business........ this was understandable if it was coming out of some bunch of people forming an organization and launching a OS/Fork, like Megia....... But definately not from company which mean business and profit, specially considering that most people find it easy to handle a Gnome than KDE....... I started KDE today, Gosh, opened and closed the window instantly, its scary!!

Most of all, Why would you like to loose you dedicated customer's??

Comments

• asedt
    asedt Posts: 96
    This maybe have something with to do with the major changes in Gnome 3. Im not a user of Mandriva and I like Gnome 2.x a lot and I like to chose but I still think it a good move as the developers can put more focus on that desktop.
    “This concentration of our efforts allowed us to make Mandriva Desktop the best KDE-based distro in the free software industry,” the software's developers explain.
    http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/239060/five_good_reasons_to_try_mandriva_linux_2011.html

Most of all, Why would you like to loose you dedicated customer's??

So why do you post that here? If you are one of Mandrivas customer I suggest you talk with Mandriva.
  • Well, I installed the OS in question today, after considerably gathering my courage..... it opened to terminal and no GUI, finally bugged my friend from other part of country to stay on call and guide me through, it it up

And, its not so bad...... I think main issue with most (including me) is to change the way we work, about me posting her and not on mandriva-wiki, someone hit the block button on my IP, and I am forbidden to post anything there LOL
  • marc
    marc Posts: 647
    I see nothing in here but a huge rant.

Read why they moved to a KDE only distro and it all makes sense.

Just because something doesn't work the way you want it to doesn't make it bad/wrong
  • Damn right, its a rant....... the litmus test of a good OS platform is ease to be used by anyone, its a power hog distro right now - power backup is reduced from 4hr to less than one hour on my friends laptop (he is using gnome, not KDE)

Anyway, he has been a Mandriva lover for past three years and is shifting to fedora tomorrow...... I too am shifting to Debian, not that it matter to anyone, but just to mention........ I can give you my reasons for doing what I am about to do, but I am sure you (and me) are interested in wasting each-others time.....

be safe and be well
  • marc
    Yukti Communication wrote:
    Damn right, its a rant....... the litmus test of a good OS platform is ease to be used by anyone, its a power hog distro right now - power backup is reduced from 4hr to less than one hour on my friends laptop (he is using gnome, not KDE)

Anyway, he has been a Mandriva lover for past three years and is shifting to fedora tomorrow...... I too am shifting to Debian, not that it matter to anyone, but just to mention........ I can give you my reasons for doing what I am about to do, but I am sure you (and me) are interested in wasting each-others time.....

be safe and be well

I'm sorry... what?

Rants aren't useful to anyone, that's a fact.

Besides, if you want to do that go to the offtopic forum...
  • @ Marc: Guess you might have missed the sarcasm, they dont have sarcasm on beetle-juice anyway...... :P

What I am saying (rather informing) is that Mandriva 2011 suddenly made some changes and left a big chunk of its customers in cold feet........ I fail to understand why will a Company, that has main reason to make money for its investors, by providing solutions to its customers will do that??...... I am informing about myself, other is my friend - two are in process of moving out of Mandriva..... and you know that once someone makes the shift, he hardly ever comes back to OS...... least possible if he likes the new OS better

I had some issues with Mandriva since the day it installed........ but, I was working with / around them, and sharing so others can know / guide me to solutions (if any)........ this seems to be getting to argument between me and you, sods
  • marc
    There is no argument here, just your rant.

The developers have explained why they took those decisions, the thing is that you don't like them and the consequences they brought and you are ranting and moving away from Mandriva.

It's ok, it's software and you can use whatever you want. Just don't rant for the sake of ranting.

Regards

Categories

Upcoming Training