Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Please i need help

Please i need help. My laptop is a dell inspiron m5030. My processor is a amd athlon 2 p340 duel core 2.2ghz. Im trying to get linux on my computer and i cant find one to work. Ive used ubuntu on my desktop for years but that desktop is dead. i wouldnt mind trying something new out. Ubuntu will not work with my laptop. Fodora will not install. Opensuse and mandriva will not download properly. Please help i hate windows with a passion and im trying to fix it.

Comments

• saqman2060
    saqman2060 Posts: 777
    Ok we need more info to further assist you. What error messages are you receiving when installing ubuntu and fedora and can you outline the installation procedure for both ubuntu and fedora?

Also, how are you downloading the other distros. These are vital info that we need to assist you.
  • ubuntu will install fine and then when in loads up it gets to the desktop and nothing happens all it is is the desktop background and nothing else. The fedora was a live cd im downloading full dvd right now so well see if that works first.
  • i was downloading from the distro sites but now im downloading from linux torrent site using torrents.
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Based upon your hardware I cannot see any restrictions that would cause any issues. The problem may be due to odd bios settings or a misconfigured video card. Can you tell us what video card is installed in your computer?
  • saqman2060
    saqman2060 Posts: 777
    Check out this article about determining hardware compatibility.
    http://www.linux.com/news/hardware/drivers/8203-is-my-hardware-linux-compatible-find-out-here
  • ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200.
    Im almost positive for ubuntu its the video card. Because if i booted ubuntu into graphics safe mode then ubuntu would boot up and actually work but wouldnt boot up normally. I downloaded a fedora dvd from the internet and it did the same thing. It installed fine but when it loaded up the desktop background would pop up then nothing else would happen.
  • i looked into the driver for the ati and i found one to download. How can i install it after i install fedora when nothing happens at desktop. can i burn it to a cd and install it during the boot up some how.
  • gtmurff
    gtmurff Posts: 1
    If you're comfortable with the terminal, you can try switching to a console session. Once Fedora (or Ubuntu) boots up and you reach the desktop with nothing on it, Press ctrl+alt+F1 to switch to a console session.

Categories

Upcoming Training