Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Evolution Mail

Options

Why is it that mail clients seem to be the only blemish on the otherwise perfect skin of the Linux desktop?

I've tried Thunderbird; not a wonderful experience. Was recommended to Evolution which I've now used for several years despite its tendency to crash spontaneously, corrupt your emails or refuse to delete anything from trash.

I've finally had enough.

1) Does anyone know a way to extract mail data directly from the Evolution databases to allow me to, at least, LOOK at my old emails (despite Evolution generating segmentation violations and crashing on load)?

2) Is there a recovery tool for the email database I could use to try to reconstruct the evolution mail data?

3) Is there a stable email client (no bells and whistles) available which doesn't fall apart like a hooker's dressing gown?

Or do I have to bite the bullet and write one (which would really p**s me off. :angry:)

Comments

• marc
    marc Posts: 647
    Options
    sa0836561663 wrote:
    Why is it that mail clients seem to be the only blemish on the otherwise perfect skin of the Linux desktop?
    It's not a Linux problem but every OS

I've tried Thunderbird; not a wonderful experience. Was recommended to Evolution which I've now used for several years despite its tendency to crash spontaneously, corrupt your emails or refuse to delete anything from trash.

I thought I was the only one!
    1) Does anyone know a way to extract mail data directly from the Evolution databases to allow me to, at least,
    LOOK at my old emails (despite Evolution generating segmentation violations and crashing on load)?

IIRC Evolution uses mbox format. You just need to read that (it's plain text and easlily portable to other mail clients)
    2) Is there a recovery tool for the email database I could use to try to reconstruct the evolution mail data?
    Evolution uses no database but mail indexes (AFAIK). Just delete the email indexes and the program will rebuild them again(hopefully in a correct way)
    3) Is there a stable email client (no bells and whistles) available which doesn't fall apart like a hooker's dressing gown?

I'll quote you the creator of the mutt mail client:
    ``All mail clients suck. This one just sucks less.'' -Michael Elkins, circa 1995

Mutt is an awesome email client, very configurable and managable. The only downside is its addressbook (or lack of it). And yes, I know about abook.

However, I'm really attached to Kmail (even with it's high cpu spikes now and then). It may have crashed like 2-3 times in the last years (and I use it everyday!)

Regards
  • Sakralarab
    Sakralarab Posts: 3
    edited September 2015
    Options
    You could try and use kdepim, which contains kmail and korganizer (also installable separately). These are applications in the KDE desktop, all KDE applications you also can use in Gnome.
    Be prepared that when you install your first KDE applications into Ubuntu you'll also have to install quite a lot of libraries and dependencies which are not present in the Gnome desktop, but that the KDE applications need.

1441512134.jpg
    Hope this helps,

Sakralarab
    My BLog

Categories

Upcoming Training