Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

text editor with easy, versatile, macros?

I still have on my system an OLD DOS text editor named VDE ((Video Display Editor). I have to go into dosemu to use it, but it is so versatile, and powerful that I often do it, especially when I have some extensive text editing to do, (for instance to copy a long email, and then reformat each paragraph so that the text will flow smoothly into ,lets say , LibreOffice Writer.

A glowing but inadequate description can be found here: http://sites.google.com/site/vdeeditor/Home/about-vde

I read that VDE has been rewritten and renamed for Linux. There are two names given: SUE (Simple Unix Editor), or UDE (I suppose that stands for Unix Display Editor). I even found a place to download it with it's source (supposedly). But I can't get it to work for me. I have never compiled anything in Linux, and can't seem to find a truly simple set of instructions for doing so. All the tutorials I find on the subject assume that you know something about it first - which I don't.

What I'd really like to find is that someone else has already recompiled it for Debian and I can just download it and use it. If not, then where can I find a simple tutorial for compiling it here under Mint10? And by simple, I mean with examples, showing syntax. I would also need to know what packages I need to get to be able to do it.

Comments

• marc
    marc Posts: 647
    I do not know about this software but I could have a look at the sources and try to compile it (I might even build a deb package :) )

Links?

Regards
  • woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    Personally, I like nedit. It has nice macro generation capabilities, multi-file (or multi-view) editing, very strong search/replace with regular expression support, tabbed or separate windows for each file/view, syntax highlighting and auto-indent handling for just about every language known. If it isn't in your software repositories, then the source code that will build on any Linux system (and any other system that supports X-Windows) can be found on sourceforge.net. It was originally developed at Fermi National Laboratory in Illinois for use by the international physics research community - your US tax dollars at work!

Categories

Upcoming Training