Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Skype for linux

I just install skype 2.2 beta on 11.04. It is stall a beta release, yet works the same way as the stable version. Is this program, as well as the stable one, going to ported for MS only, or will it stay for linux? I'm glad I have it, hate logging on to MSUCKs.

I will look into the other voip clients that I ran into, that also means the ones for ubuntu. I need a time frame for how long I have before the skype 2.2 is no more.

Comments

• Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    From what I've read Skype for Linux won't be discontinued. Just don't hold your breath waiting for updates. Once Google+ opens up, there will be no need for Skype.
    One on one, I've been using Google chat. Matt and I tested the Google+ "Hangout feature" the other night and it worked well. Although I just wish we had a third and a fourth to test it even further.
    Patience, we're all watching the back doors hoping to get you an invite.
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    I agree about waiting for google+, I really want to use it for our future conversations.

From what I have read it appears that google will make it public at the end of the month, but we will be trying to get you an invite.
  • ben
    ben Posts: 134
    I'm interested in Google+, is there something for Android as well ?
    I'm a quite happy skype user for Linux and Android as well, audio/video quality is fine even on long distances.
    When I've talked to you the last time quality was acceptable (US <-> Europe in a breeze)

I'm currently keeping pidgin (with ICQ+MSN+Google+Yahoo accounts) and skype always opened on Linux but it could be nice to use just one tool with acceptable voice+video quality.
  • mfillpot
    Google+ also has an Android app, however the android app messenger client (huddle)is text only I don't think it talks to the desktop messenger client called hangout, but that may change.
  • marc
    marc Posts: 647
    Skype is something that should be erradicated from the surface of the earth. Period.

The only good things that skype has is it's millions of users and the ability to call real phones all in the same package. Apart from that...it's a *really crappy* software if you use it extensively.

About that Google+ things...I'd love to try it if I had an account... (invite anyone? :P )

Regards
  • mfillpot
    marc wrote:
    [About that Google+ things...I'd love to try it if I had an account... (invite anyone? :P )
    [/quote]

Marc,
    You are among the users that I have been trying to get invited, but at this point it doesn't look like any new invites will be available before it goes public. You will know if I succeed in sending invites.
  • ben
    @Matthew:
    After your invitation I got this from their pages:
    "
    Already invited? We've temporarily exceeded our capacity. Please try again soon.
    "

I've to wait for a while... :unsure:
  • saqman2060
    saqman2060 Posts: 777
    Thanks guys. I viewed the google+ project and it looks very promising. I hope this will prove beneficial.
  • Goineasy9
    Invites are back up, I sent you one, hopefully it will work. Let me know.

Edit: Robin still didn't get her invite email, it's taking longer than when I got mine. Keep your fingers crossed.

Edit2: If anyone has gotten an invite previously that stated Google was over capacity, TRY AGAIN, using that same email. I got Robin in by clicking on "Learn more about Google+". From there it went straight to the join screen. Good luck guys.

BTW - I would like to thank the members of Reddit who have kept me informed about the goings on re: Google+. I got my initial account from a Redditor, and tonight they let me know that invites were open again. Upboat for you all. Heh.
  • mfillpot
    I just sent invites to Andrea, Istimsak and Marc.
  • marc
    mfillpot wrote:
    I just sent invites to Andrea, Istimsak and Marc.

Wow! thanks a lot!

I'm trying to get in but I keep getting the "try later" message :(

Hopefully I'll be able to join and we can try a many-to-many video thing :)

Yay!
  • mfillpot
    So it looks like they do not honor the invitations, it must be setup as first come first serve, you can try the links later since the address is still valid. I will advise then admission is back open.
  • ben
    Indeed, I've received your invitation twice so thank you for it but I guess they've locked the site with some sort of user limit
  • Goineasy9
    I guess it was a temporary opening because the invite icon is now gone off of the home screen in Google+. I'm glad I got Robin in last night, but, that was really by using an old invitation email. I'm glad we didn't delete it.
    So, wait for the floodgates to open again, then use the old email to join. When I spot the icon again, I'll post.
  • marc
    Goineasy9 wrote:
    I guess it was a temporary opening because the invite icon is now gone off of the home screen in Google+. I'm glad I got Robin in last night, but, that was really by using an old invitation email. I'm glad we didn't delete it.
    So, wait for the floodgates to open again, then use the old email to join. When I spot the icon again, I'll post.

I've read there having some privacy issues... I guess they'll open up again when they solve them

Regards
  • asedt
    asedt Posts: 96
    They closed the invites after 6 hours due to crazy demands. It's old news today.

Link to source here in Swedish:
    http://www.idg.se/2.1085/1.394131/google-stoppar-inbjudningar-till-nya-facebook-utmanaren

Google translate:
    On Monday, Google launched its latest attempt to challenge Facebook's dominance in the arena of social networking, Google + . A few invited guests were given the chance to test the new service. Google stressed that the service is still in an early stage, but on Wednesday released more users into by letting the existing invite their friends and they in turn had to invite her.

Many did, of course, test the service and it took just six hours before Google was forced to close function for invitations. The closure was due to "mad demand," according to Google's technology director, Vic Gudotra. Later he wrote on his personal Google +-page "We must do this carefully and in a controlled manner."

On Google's information page on Google +, it follows that for temporarily exceeded its capacity, but interested parties can submit their email address and be notified when it is ready to open for invitations again.

EDIT: http://xkcd.com/918/ from the comments :D
  • mfillpot
    Invites are open again, if you got a previous invite try again promptly.
  • marc
    mfillpot wrote:
    Invites are open again, if you got a previous invite try again promptly.

I'm trying but I still get the "try again later" message. We'll see eventually :)

Regards
  • ben
    Like you, I've tried this morning with the new invitation sent from Matthew but unfortunately it seems they've closed it again
  • mfillpot
    It opened twice yesterday, once for 20 minutes and the second time for 5 minutes. Those open spots go fast.
  • ben
    GOT IT ! Come on boys, they've just opened it !
  • ben
    Thank you so much Matthew, I'll try to use it after a little bit of study (and work obviously...)
  • marc
    ben wrote:
    Thank you so much Matthew, I'll try to use it after a little bit of study (and work obviously...)

Me too!!!

Thanks Matthew!

Regards
  • mfillpot
    marc wrote:
    ben wrote:

Me too!!!

Thanks Matthew!

Regards

It encourages me seeing so many members of the site on google+, we can have fun sharing links to our articles with each other and others through that site.

Categories

Upcoming Training