Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Avast! Anti Virus for Linux, kind of cool.

Just in case, this is a cool linux version of Avast that is still supported to my knowledge.

http://www.avast.com/linux-home-edition

Updates and works fine on Kubuntu 11.04

Comments

• RickSMO
    RickSMO Posts: 123
    ok I take that back it crashes and doesn't work haha. Stick with KlamAV/ClamAV guys.
  • Jared9
    Jared9 Posts: 3
    I use Avast with Windows but have not had any virus problems with Linux yet. Anyone else had virus issues with linux?
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    I have never found any Viri in a Linux based system, but I keep ClamAV installed to help protect windows computers that I may communicate with.
  • RSims
    RSims Posts: 146
    Neither have I, lets just say I think paranoia and safety are needed in all computing to stay safe and running easily. =)
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    I use Avast on the one Windows machine that we use to download coupons, the only thing I can't do in Linux. Since I don't surf the internet in Windows, I haven't encountered anything that would infect the Windows machine, so, I can't really judge the product on it's merits.

I have seen a post though, that said that their anti-virus for Android (Which I probably don't need either), comes with a lost/stolen phone feature similar to Prey. I might take a look at it in the future. I'm still looking for a good app that will track the phone if it is lost or stolen.

Since I don't use Windows, I have little use for an anti-virus that checks Windows files. I have Fedora hardened with SELinux and a double firewall (router & desktop), so, I feel pretty secure here. There still hasn't been a virus or trojan that has spread in the Linux universe, so, I'm feeling pretty safe here.

BTW - I discussed the recent Apple virus with a niece who owns a Mac laptop today, and read through explanation of how it propagated. It seems that the user is asked for permission before the trojan is installed, and, without that permission, no infection. Unlike Linux, there was no message in the update window as to what was about to be updated. Was it Automatic updating that was the problem? And why would anyone except an update without an explanation? I saw the window that opened in a post (sorry I don't have a link handy), all it said was an update was ready and permission was needed for it to continue. I'm glad I get to choose what and where I get my updates from. I thought Apple and its BSD based OS had similar features. I'm not a Mac user, so, can't say for certain. Just happy I'm a Linux user.
  • RSims
    RSims Posts: 146
    Yeah i'm really enjoying Ubuntu 12.04 its in beta 2 and running great. It's full release is the 26th of april this month so it's done. The only issue I ran into they already made a patch available on the 10th for(Tomorrow). Very happy =)
  • saqman2060
    saqman2060 Posts: 777
    edited December 2014
    I have used and trusted avast on windows and now on Macs. Since I have been using it, never encountered a virus.

Never needed antivirus for Linux. The only serious threats that I have heard was the shellshock and the heartbleed threat. That does not mean Linux is untouchable. It means it knows how a system can be compromised.

That being said, there is no such thing as too much security. I don't like taking chances. Use what you believe helps. Learn from Linux about how to be a responsible systems operator.
  • Having you around will be useful.

If I understand you correctly, there really isn't a reliable virus scanner to detect all possible viruses on a computer. You have mentioned that you have used "Emsisoft and a good rootkit scanner" to test a windows installation. Are they capable of detecting every known threat that can compromise a Windows computer.

Instead you had to manually remove such threats by digging deep into the core of the system and the registry. How did you remove them?

It is sound that just because an AV did not detect a threat, does not mean there isn't one. Does not matter how many AVs you run, you still won't get them all. My question is, are those non-removeable threats really threats?
  • Thanks for your expertise Hugenoot. This bit of information is a step in the right direction to helping end-users better understand personal computer security. I have learned a few things my self ;-)
  • saqman2060
    saqman2060 Posts: 777
    edited December 2014
    And there you have it. Any questions?

Try not to use words like "daft, dumb and plain stupid" as these words can have an offensive effect on the readers. "Careless" is less offensive yet stern for importance.

Firefox is also a good secure browser to use. Not as fast of chrome but still solid.

Categories

Upcoming Training