Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Reporting a issue with Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

RickSMO
RickSMO Posts: 123

There is a issue with Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal 64 bit and the compatability with my Radeon ATI Propriatery driver. I have a Radeon HD 4850 PCI Express Video Card. Note: I had no issue with Maverick Meerkat 10.10

The issue that happens, is as soon as I install this driver, I lose all input from my display, and I get "Input not available" on my screen.

Whole screen goes black while the OS works fine in the backround, only as soon as this driver is installed. I've wiped the system twice, and I am sure this is the problem.

Let me know what other information you guys may be interested in.

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    I have experienced this in the past and had to boot into the installation through a livecd to blacklist the ati driver to get the system working again. In my past experiences the ATI proprietary drivers seem to be flaky and troublesome with specific kernels, I would recommend not using them because the open source ati drivers that the installation defaults to work well enough.

As for the bug I recommend checking out https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs , but I would not expect anything to happen because the functions from the proprietary drivers are beyond their capabilities, the most they can do is tell the search function not to recommend those drivers for your card on that kernel.
  • RickSMO
    RickSMO Posts: 123
    I never had any issues in the past with ubuntu 10.10 and this driver on my system. I ran 3D games like Savage2 and Regnum online in native 64 bit linux ubuntu perfectly fine. Has to be a new issue in the ubuntu 11.04 softward packages. Thanks for the link to report it.
  • marc
    marc Posts: 647
    mfillpot wrote:
    I have experienced this in the past and had to boot into the installation through a livecd to blacklist the ati driver to get the system working again.

Have you tried adding "3" to the kernel boot line in grub? That way you won't get into X and you'll be able to edit whatever you'd like :)

Regards

Categories

Upcoming Training