Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Is my laptop capable of running a linux OS?

So, I bought a Dell Inspiron 3800, which runs windows 98.

it has 64 MB RAM, Intel Pentium III, and it is a single core processor configuration

I was wondering if there was a Linux based OS that would run with this computer??

And if so, which ones??

Thanks, I've never use linux before, so I would appreciate all the help that I can get.

Comments

• Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    You may want to look at AntiX which is one of the few Linux distros that can operate on 64mb of ram.
    http://antix.mepis.org/index.php?title=Main_Page
    Your limited RAM might be a problem when looking for a Linux distro. I have used AntiX on an old Thinkpad with a PII processor and 128MB of RAM and it worked nicely, but, I don't know how modern video and graphics will perform on a machine that old.
  • jabirali
    jabirali Posts: 157
    Another safe bet is Damn Small Linux, which works with as little as 16MB of RAM and a 486 (pre-pentium) processor.
  • marc
    marc Posts: 647
    jabirali wrote:
    Another safe bet is Damn Small Linux, which works with as little as 16MB of RAM and a 486 (pre-pentium) processor.

+1 for DSL!
  • saqman2060
    saqman2060 Posts: 777
    Check out this article. It explains linux OS choices for older PCs.

http://www.linux.com/news/hardware/desktops/8248-linux-distros-for-older-hardware
  • j.violet
    j.violet Posts: 4
    Will I be able to use Damn Small Linux as my main OS, or would I need another OS to run it??
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    You could use DSL as your main OS. You can actually run it off of the CD that you burn the iso to, so you can see if you like the environment. I would also download the LiveCD of AntiX also and see if that one works for you also. No need to install until your satisfied with your choice.
  • marc
    marc Posts: 647
    j.violet wrote:
    Will I be able to use Damn Small Linux as my main OS, or would I need another OS to run it??

You don't need anything else. I was using it on my old 486 with 32mb of ram :)

Outsanding!

:)

Categories

Upcoming Training