Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Configuring IP address in slackware in LAN

chekkizhar
chekkizhar Posts: 182

Hai,

I am using USB modem which I configured already. Recently, I connected my machine in office LAN. But, I can not able to access internet.

I checked with "route" command, which shows a wrong netmask for the LAN. So, I changed using "netconfig" command and configured ipaddress, netmask and gate way address. But, still "route" is showing, the old values of net mask and gate way only.

I tried with pppoe-setup also. No luck . I am getting, "/usr/sbin/pppoe-start: line 193: 3710 Terminated $CONNECT "$@ > /dev/null 2 > &1

What I need to do to work in LAN connection ?

thank you

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Have you attempted to add the required values into /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf?
  • chekkizhar
    sorry for too late reply.

Yes I changed the vales in that file using "netconfig". but, no change.
  • chekkizhar
    its working, after rebooting the system.:)

But, I restated the service, "/etc/rc.d/rc.inetd restart " , after I made changes to inet1.conf file. And I got the msg, that internet super service is started.

Why this is behaving like wi...ws :dry: . things are working after reboot.
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    The reboot allows other services to startup dependencies and config file verifications that you may have to restart manually in potentially many locations. You can get everything running while the system is running, but it may take far more effort and research to find the correct triggers manually. The reboot is just much faster and easier to newer users.

Be sure to read the text files that reside on the root directory of the installation disk, those files will give you most of the documentation that you will need to understand slackware administration.

Categories

Upcoming Training