Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Make PDC or LDAP server

haliparotin
haliparotin Posts: 52

hi! i just want to make my own PDC or LDAP server from scratch for my Windows OS Network.. Ubuntu Server with Webmin want use.. and now what the program i can install and need to configure (if available with Screenshot).. i hope anyone help me.. THANK YOU..

Comments

• marc
    marc Posts: 647
    Openldap, of course.

It's *DIFFICULT* to configure, you've been warned.

Regards
  • atreyu
    atreyu Posts: 216
    agreed, it is butt-arse hard. I did it in Fedora in a couple hours, though - just find a good tutorial that is made for your distro, e.g.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/serverguide/C/openldap-server.html
    good luck
  • marc
    atreyu wrote:
    agreed, it is butt-arse hard. I did it in Fedora in a couple hours, though - just find a good tutorial that is made for your distro, e.g.
    good luck

Two hours?

Just to read the documentation it took me way much longer. (although I must admit I really didn't need to read the whole thing to get a basic ldap working ).

Regards
  • atreyu
    marc wrote:
    atreyu wrote:
    good luck

Two hours?

Just to read the documentation it took me way much longer. (although I must admit I really didn't need to read the whole thing to get a basic ldap working ).

Regards
    i didn't say I understood it, i just installed it... ;)
  • marc
    atreyu wrote:
    i didn't say I understood it, i just installed it... ;)

Hahahahhahaa I thought you were Superman! Or at least I felt kind of stupid :S I spent various days reading and understanding the documentation and I still don't feel confident in my knowledge!

LDAP is a complicated matter

Regards
  • atreyu
    hey, it's clear you're not stupid!

as i recall, i had been tasked to set up a server to be an email server (using postfix and smtpd and cyrus-imapd with auth via LDAP and intefaced with SquirrelMail) and be a chat server (auth with LDAP servied via jabberd). it was fun, but getting LDAP to work w/all that was a bee-yotch. and I never got it to do anything more robust, like allowing remote users to log in and get a shell, etc.
  • marc
    atreyu wrote:
    and I never got it to do anything more robust, like allowing remote users to log in and get a shell, etc.

Hehehe, that was precisely one of my deployment requirements... ;)

Regards
  • haliparotin
    Thank you for reply... i think as new in linux its hard to follow that instruction but its a big help for me.. other than OpenLDAP they have another i need to install and configure to my Ubuntu server?
  • marc
    haliparotin wrote:
    Thank you for reply... i think as new in linux its hard to follow that instruction but its a big help for me.. other than OpenLDAP they have another i need to install and configure to my Ubuntu server?

RedHat clones have an own directory server, dunno if it has been ported to Ubuntu...

Regards
  • haliparotin
    Can you give me some sample of Redhat Clone.. thank you..
  • marc
    haliparotin wrote:
    whats the other Redhat clone are?

You've got either CentOS or Scientific Linux (there might be others as well).

You can check at RedHat's documentation in

http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Directory_Server/index.html

Regards
  • ben
    ben Posts: 134
    Fedora Core 389 is close to your needs, check it out at: http://directory.fedoraproject.org/

Like you I'd like to create a real AD DC, OpenLDAP is powerful if you compare features and options you've but if you'd like to replace a real Microsoft Windows Server controller it's a pain in the ass.
    I don't mean just single sign on authentication but also group policies and FSMO roles, one of the big advantages of an Active Directory struture is the Group Policies unified management and control. I've tried to do some tests with LDAP and Fedora customizations but I'm quite far from a genuine AD server.

If you want to test something quick go with the Fedora 389 project, if you'd like to be more distribution independent OpenLDAP is the way to go.... but we're still far from Microsoft side
  • ben
    ben Posts: 134
    Forgot to mention another thing:
    I work with AD as many of you, I'm a sysadmin and I've Windows Server machines to manage even if I'm a Linux geek. I'm trying to create some sort of working group for building a project based on OpenLDAP with patches and tricks to create an empty AD tree, then I'd like to use this tree and Microsoft Management Console tools to handle it, anyone interested ?

Categories

Upcoming Training