Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

New and Confused!!

leoj803
leoj803 Posts: 14

Hello Linux Community,

Well I'm a newbie with the Linux world and totally green with when it comes to software, driver installs and the all around technical attributes of Linux computing. As you have already noticed I've been with "WinDoze" as they say, too long. I want to convert darn it!! :blink:

So I am here for advice and direction. My first accomplishment is the installation of Fedora 14. I don't know why this distro but then again why not right? OK my first form of duty is to install a Asus usb N13 wireless net work adapter. As we all know in MS WinDoze all we need to do is insert disc and follow the promps....simple, In Linux no such pleasure...I actually have to work a little to get what I want. No biggie I like work and work hard at it, but I can admit failure...but never defeat. Thats why I'm here, looking for a hand and not "da-feet" :P

Anyway, please direct me on how to go about getting my n13 installed. Picture too would be great ;)

Thanks you!

Comments

• Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    We'll need to know what wireless chip is in that adapter. If you type "lsusb" (without the quotes) in a terminal it should tell us, look for the line that says wireless network adapter or wifi network adapter, then post that line here.
  • leoj803
    Hello Goineasy9 and thanks for your reply.

$ lsusb = "Bus 001 Device 007: ID 0b05 : 1784 ASUSTek Computer, Inc. 802.11n Network Adapter"
  • Goineasy9
    This usb dongle seems a bit problematic. First let's check a few things. Are you totally updated, that is, have you kept up with the updates that F14 has released since you installed? If not, run:
    su <enter>
    <your password> <enter>
    yum update

Then just answer the prompts until it is finished. If you're updated, then, forget that part.

Question: Do you have the rpmfusion repo installed? If you don't know, you can run:
    yum repolist

in the terminal, and if RPM Fusion isn't one of your repos, we can help you set it up.

Question: Are you using a PAE kernel? Fedora will install a PAE kernel by default if you're using the 32 bit version. Once again, you can find this out by running:
    uname -a

in the terminal and giving us the output.

In order to get the correct driver and have it install correctly, we need to know where we're starting from. Originally, this usb dongle was supposed to work with the rt2870 driver, but, it seems that folks have only had success with the rt3070 driver. That driver is available in the rpmfusion repo, but needs kernel-devel installed to make it compile correctly, but, we need to know what version of Fedora (32 or 64 bit) and what kernel your using before we start installing anything.
  • leoj803
    I will work on these steps. Two questions though, 1- do I need to have an Internet connection while doing these steps or any other for that matter? 2- can this be done on a live install?
  • Goineasy9
    Yes you need internet access to update and install the driver. You can do it with LiveCD but will loose everything once the computer is shut down.
  • leoj803
    Ok first I will do a full install of the distro in the machine I tend to use.

Question: how do I get updates to a machine that I'm trying to get a network adapter on?

Remember very green here..... Maybe I should be using "Mint" I would surely blend in!!
  • Goineasy9
    I would say to find a place where you can attach the ethernet adapter. The problem with your wifi adapter is that it's drivers are not in the Linux kernel, so, while you can certainly download the drivers, copy them to a usb stick, then, copy them into the computer, this is a much harder way of achieving what a few simple commands will do if attached to a wired network.

BTW - using Mint if your new to Linux is a good choice. If you going to do your first install, Mint should have everything running right out of the box. It may even have a pointer to the driver of your wifi dongle. Although, like I said, searches have found that dongle to be problematic, so, having a wired connection will make the installation of drivers a lot less frustrating.
  • leoj803
    Goineasy9 wrote:
    BTW - using Mint if your new to Linux is a good choice. If you going to do your first install, Mint should have everything running right out of the box. It may even have a pointer to the driver of your wifi dongle. Although, like I said, searches have found that dongle to be problematic, so, having a wired connection will make the installation of drivers a lot less frustrating.

I did have mint at one point, infact my original choice of distro. I believe though I had the same issue. Would all these steps your so kindly giving me be useful in mint? Also I feel guilty taking your advice and guidance with Mint in a Fedora thread.

For now I will stick to Fedora mainly because of the time you have taken so far, and honestly, Fedora seemingly mimics windoze in some way.

I'm away from my machine at this time and working from my IPhone. I will perform what you have suggested very soon and keep you posted.

Thanks Goineasy9. Don't give up on me now ok? :)
  • Goineasy9
    Don't stick with Fedora because I use it or this is a Fedora thread. If you like Fedora, that's a different story. The only reason I can give you the help on your wifi is because I've searched the fedora forum threads looking for folks who have that same wifi dongle and have looked for solutions.

I'll give you a hint on Google Foo. I Googled the ID part of your wifi string, that is, "ID 0b05 : 1784", when you first posted it, and found many threads asking for help. The Ubuntu forums had many threads, but, I guess that's cause it's the most popular. So, whether your distro is Fedora, or, a Debian based distro like Mint or Ubuntu, there are possible solutions.

Fedora has something called the akmod's, which allow you to build a driver automatically when a new kernel comes in, or, just to build a module on an existing kernel just by rebooting. I think Debian uses dkms for a similar purpose. If you install the driver from the rpmfusion repo, then, install the akmod-rt3070 app, rebooting should build the driver for the kernel that you are using. I know this sounds technical, but, it's really not that hard to understand once you get used to it.

There are no guarantees though, the wifi chip in your dongle is not that Linux friendly, so, while we may get it to work, it may be hit and miss as to how well it works. Just let us know when you need more help, we'll be here. Also, be patient, sometimes we're at our day jobs and don't have an opportunity to respond right away,
  • leoj803
    Goineasy9 wrote:

I installed Linux Mint in my machine, I will post a thread in that category.
  • Goineasy9
    OK, but, I just realized we don't have a Mint section ... how'd we miss that? So if you want to post here or in Ubuntu or in the Just getting started section ... wherever, we'll see you.
  • leoj803
    Sorry Goineasy9,
    I decided to stick to Fedora...I'm getting a bit flustered with it all so after foolin with mint and even thinking of using the zorin distro i decided to hang on to fedora for now.

For now i will work on what we have so far.
  • leoj803
    leoj803 wrote:
    Sorry Goineasy9,
    I decided to stick to Fedora...I'm getting a bit flustered with it all so after foolin with mint and even thinking of using the zorin distro i decided to hang on to fedora for now.

For now i will work on what we have so far.

For now i will work on what we have so far.[/quote]

I'm bad.....so unsure this weekend. I'm going to use Mint instead. Had install problems with fedora for some reason. I think my dvd drive is not working and my install for fedora are dvd.

sooo.....please continue with your instruction if you would Goineasy9. So sorry for the confusion!
  • leoj803
    leoj803 wrote:
    Hello Goineasy9 and thanks for your reply.

$ lsusb = "Bus 001 Device 007: ID 0b05 : 1784 ASUSTek Computer, Inc. 802.11n Network Adapter"

o
    .--.
    |o_o |
    |:_/ |
    // \ \
    (| | )
    /'\_ _/`\
    \___)=(___/

lj@hp9870 ~ $ lsusb
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0b05:1784 ASUSTek Computer, Inc. 802.11n Network Adapter
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 04f3:01a4 Elan Microelectronics Corp.
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    lj@hp9870 ~ $

Ok this is what we have for isusb so far....
  • leoj803
    Goineasy9 wrote:
    This usb dongle seems a bit problematic. First let's check a few things. Are you totally updated, that is, have you kept up with the updates that F14 has released since you installed? If not, run:
    su <enter>
    <your password> <enter>
    yum update

Then just answer the prompts until it is finished. If you're updated, then, forget that part.

hp9870 lj # yum update
    The program 'yum' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
    apt-get install yum
    hp9870 lj # apt-get install yum
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    The following extra packages will be installed:
    libpython2.6 librpm1 librpmbuild1 librpmio1 python-rpm python-sqlite
    python-sqlitecachec python-urlgrabber python2.6 python2.6-minimal rpm
    rpm-common rpm2cpio
    Suggested packages:
    python-sqlite-dbg python2.6-doc python2.6-profiler alien elfutils rpm-i18n
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
    libpython2.6 librpm1 librpmbuild1 librpmio1 python-rpm python-sqlite
    python-sqlitecachec python-urlgrabber python2.6 python2.6-minimal rpm
    rpm-common rpm2cpio yum
    0 upgraded, 14 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
    Need to get 6,046 kB of archives.
    After this operation, 22.0 MB of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
    Get:1 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ natty/main python2.6-minimal i386 2.6.6-6ubuntu7 [1,386 kB]
    Get:2 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ natty/main python2.6 i386 2.6.6-6ubuntu7 [2,357 kB]
    Get:3 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ natty/main libpython2.6 i386 2.6.6-6ubuntu7 [995 kB]
    Get:4 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ natty/main librpmio1 i386 4.8.1-6ubuntu1 [75.7 kB]
    Get:5 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ natty/main rpm-common i386 4.8.1-6ubuntu1 [21.1 kB]
    Get:6 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ natty/main librpm1 i386 4.8.1-6ubuntu1 [180 kB]
    Get:7 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ natty/main librpmbuild1 i386 4.8.1-6ubuntu1 [66.6 kB]
    Get:8 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ natty/universe python-sqlite i386 1.0.1-7ubuntu2 [34.7 kB]
    Get:9 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ natty/main python-urlgrabber all 3.9.1-4 [48.4 kB]
    Get:10 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ natty/main rpm2cpio i386 4.8.1-6ubuntu1 [6,216 B]
    Get:11 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ natty/main rpm i386 4.8.1-6ubuntu1 [145 kB]
    Get:12 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ natty/universe python-rpm i386 4.8.1-6ubuntu1 [61.8 kB]
    Get:13 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ natty/universe python-sqlitecachec i386 1.1.2-1ubuntu2 [34.0 kB]
    Get:14 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ natty/universe yum all 3.2.25-1ubuntu2 [634 kB]
    Fetched 6,046 kB in 6s (885 kB/s)
    Selecting previously deselected package python2.6-minimal.
    (Reading database ... 141142 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking python2.6-minimal (from .../python2.6-minimal_2.6.6-6ubuntu7_i386.deb) ...
    Selecting previously deselected package python2.6.
    Unpacking python2.6 (from .../python2.6_2.6.6-6ubuntu7_i386.deb) ...
    Selecting previously deselected package libpython2.6.
    Unpacking libpython2.6 (from .../libpython2.6_2.6.6-6ubuntu7_i386.deb) ...
    Selecting previously deselected package librpmio1.
    Unpacking librpmio1 (from .../librpmio1_4.8.1-6ubuntu1_i386.deb) ...
    Selecting previously deselected package rpm-common.
    Unpacking rpm-common (from .../rpm-common_4.8.1-6ubuntu1_i386.deb) ...
    Selecting previously deselected package librpm1.
    Unpacking librpm1 (from .../librpm1_4.8.1-6ubuntu1_i386.deb) ...
    Selecting previously deselected package librpmbuild1.
    Unpacking librpmbuild1 (from .../librpmbuild1_4.8.1-6ubuntu1_i386.deb) ...
    Selecting previously deselected package python-sqlite.
    Unpacking python-sqlite (from .../python-sqlite_1.0.1-7ubuntu2_i386.deb) ...
    Selecting previously deselected package python-urlgrabber.
    Unpacking python-urlgrabber (from .../python-urlgrabber_3.9.1-4_all.deb) ...
    Selecting previously deselected package rpm2cpio.
    Unpacking rpm2cpio (from .../rpm2cpio_4.8.1-6ubuntu1_i386.deb) ...
    Selecting previously deselected package rpm.
    Unpacking rpm (from .../rpm_4.8.1-6ubuntu1_i386.deb) ...
    Selecting previously deselected package python-rpm.
    Unpacking python-rpm (from .../python-rpm_4.8.1-6ubuntu1_i386.deb) ...
    Selecting previously deselected package python-sqlitecachec.
    Unpacking python-sqlitecachec (from .../python-sqlitecachec_1.1.2-1ubuntu2_i386.deb) ...
    Selecting previously deselected package yum.
    Unpacking yum (from .../yum_3.2.25-1ubuntu2_all.deb) ...
    Processing triggers for man-db ...
    Processing triggers for bamfdaemon ...
    Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/bamf.index...
    Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
    Processing triggers for python-gmenu ...
    Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/desktop.en_US.utf8.cache...
    Processing triggers for menu ...
    Processing triggers for ureadahead ...
    ureadahead will be reprofiled on next reboot
    Processing triggers for python-support ...
    Setting up python2.6-minimal (2.6.6-6ubuntu7) ...
    Linking and byte-compiling packages for runtime python2.6...
    Setting up python2.6 (2.6.6-6ubuntu7) ...
    Setting up libpython2.6 (2.6.6-6ubuntu7) ...
    Setting up librpmio1 (4.8.1-6ubuntu1) ...
    Setting up rpm-common (4.8.1-6ubuntu1) ...
    Setting up librpm1 (4.8.1-6ubuntu1) ...
    Setting up librpmbuild1 (4.8.1-6ubuntu1) ...
    Setting up python-sqlite (1.0.1-7ubuntu2) ...
    Setting up python-urlgrabber (3.9.1-4) ...
    Setting up rpm2cpio (4.8.1-6ubuntu1) ...
    Setting up rpm (4.8.1-6ubuntu1) ...
    Setting up python-rpm (4.8.1-6ubuntu1) ...
    Setting up python-sqlitecachec (1.1.2-1ubuntu2) ...
    Processing triggers for python-central ...
    Setting up yum (3.2.25-1ubuntu2) ...
    Processing triggers for menu ...
    Processing triggers for libc-bin ...
    ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
    Processing triggers for python-support ...

No RPM Fusion that i can tell!!
  • Goineasy9
    Those are Ubuntu repos, you're not running fedora. Where do you want to go from here?
  • leoj803
    Goineasy9 wrote:
    Those are Ubuntu repos, you're not running fedora. Where do you want to go from here?

Should I start a new post in ubuntu?
  • Goineasy9
    It would probably be better to start a new post in Ubuntu. There are many more Ubuntu users here that can assist if they see the post. I'll have to look up the links and what repos contain the files you need, maybe someone can help to point us to the correct non-free repos where that driver can be found. Unfortunately, I have a 12 hour day tomorrow, so I might not get back to the forum till tomorrow night, so hopefully we can get help from some of the others here.
    Just be patient, we'll get you up and running ... hopefully. :-)
  • leoj803
    [Update] Solved

First off i decided to go with two distros, one = wattos r3 and linux mint. Also i have installed them in a dell dimension 2400 as my hp 9870 is now in pc heaven. As soon as i remember how i solved it i will let every one know.

My linux mint required me to download the lates kernel and with the help of linux community and older posts i got it running.

In wattos r3 it was very simple. with the usb adapter inserted I followed this Post>>>

http://www.planetwatt.com/forums/topic/14/wireles-network-lt-solved-gt

Thanks to all that helped and i'm sure i will be needing more.

Categories

Upcoming Training