Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Suggestions for a career in Linux

I am wanting to start a career in Linux. I am thinking about becoming a Linux system administrator, but I would like to take whatever job I can in Linux until I reach the skill level to become an administrator. I am very new to Linux and the only education I have that would help me so far is HTML and some CSS. I know that I need to learn LAMP, but what methods does anyone suggest about learning Linux and everything that comes along with it? I live in Austin, TX. Are online classes any good or should I just try to self teach with books and asking questions on here?

How long would it take to learn enough to become something in Linux.

Comments

• proxy
    proxy Posts: 3
    Start as an IT tech as I did; there are a lot of good online courses (College?/Certifications?/Community College?) for a broad range of fields involving computer systems and all that. From there, there are other "routes" to choose from that might interest you......Good Luck! Peace!
  • marc
    marc Posts: 647
    LAMP is just Linux + Apache + Mysql + PHP.

You can be a *great* linux sysadmin with knowing almost nothing about it (although in some environments should be usefull)

Anyway, the info you need is out there, on the internet.

Try the LPI courses for a start (you can just buy a book and start studying a little bit )

The thing you need the most imho? ¬°¬°¬°COMMAND LINE!!! get comfortable with the command line!!! (usually bash on linux)

Regards
  • atreyu
    atreyu Posts: 216
    marc wrote:
    LAMP is just Linux + Apache + Mysql + PHP
    or for me, Linux + Apache + Mysql + Perl!

Yes, knowing how to do things from the command line is great advice. To be a good (FILL_IN_THE_OS) systems administrator, you should know the basics, e.g., how to:

- Network PCs together

- Apply updates to the system

- Set up and manage user/group accounts

- Set up and configure network services (printing, web server, FTP, File Sharing, firewalls, etc.)

- Perform disk/filesystem management

- Learn to write shell scripts that help you do the above stuff

That's just a beginning. My advice to you, is to get at least two Linux PCs up and running (really challenge yourself and make one RPM-based and one-Debian based) and start teaching yourself how to do the above things.

To learn the ins and outs of the scripts that glue Linux together, check out the init scripts in /etc/init.d/. They're mostly written in Bash and make great resources when you start writing your own scripts. I'd also recommend learning Perl (it's great for playing w/text files), if you're going to be SysAdmin, but that can come later.

And of course, ask questions here.
  • marc
    marc Posts: 647
    atreyu wrote:
    marc wrote:
    LAMP is just Linux + Apache + Mysql + PHP
    or for me, Linux + Apache + Mysql + Perl!

Hahahaha never heard that one before! hehehehe Anyway, the LAMP is commonly known as php ;)

To learn the ins and outs of the scripts that glue Linux together, check out the init scripts in /etc/init.d/. They're mostly written in Bash and make great resources when you start writing your own scripts. I'd also recommend learning Perl (it's great for playing w/text files), if you're going to be SysAdmin, but that can come later.

Perl/awk is the way to go for editing text (or ed)

Regards
  • Thanks for the information, I feel as if I am in over my head though. I don't have very much knowledge of Linux at all. I just know that I want to learn it. I just got UBUNTU a month ago and am starting to learn on my own, I'm recovering from a surgery and would like to go back into work with a career in Linux and if not as soon as I recover, then soon after. I know I have a lot to learn, but what would be the best thing for me to do?

So basically, I have little knowledge on Linux and no professional training on computers, but I want to get a job in Linux as soon as possible. What is the quickest job opportunity before becoming a system administrator?
  • chekkizhar
    chekkizhar Posts: 182
    Hahahaha never heard that one before! hehehehe Anyway, the LAMP is commonly known as php ;)
    you can hear from here,
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LAMP_(software_bundle)
  • saqman2060
    saqman2060 Posts: 777
    To be honest, if you try to rush the process you will only meet with failure. Since you are new to linux, pick a distro that you like and can work easily with. I picked ubuntu.

Learn how the system works, in and out, from installation, security, creating groups etc. If you have little skills regarding computers in general, read some A+ books, and take your time.

Once you have enough infor on your system and a little more knowledge on computers, challenge yourself by tunning your system. Experiment and see what you can come up with. Be a member on forums and ircs. Google as much as you have to. Then volunteer. To me this is the best way to go. You cannot cram everything in your head about linux, You can learn the basics and apply those skills in a real working environment. Companies like that.

My advice, learn what you can, where you can, how you can.
  • brunewarren
    brunewarren Posts: 14
    I'm on a same path. In Linux as I see it, most important is learning the basics, the ropes of command line. At first it is very scary, but after that you can get on more advanced topics. I learn with training DVDs by Unix Academy and starting from absolute zero in about 3 weeks I learned a lot. By one person' recommendation I got a book by Evi Nemeth "Administrator' handbook" and it it very nice next step into it. After this initial push, the sky has cleared. I see there's much of learning ahead of me, but I'm set on a path.
    Don't be set off by a horror stories. I didn't know what "shell" means few weeks ago. You spend time with it: you learn it.

Categories

Upcoming Training