Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Advice as usual...

I can't say I am a newbie, but I am still learning linux...currently I am using lubuntu 10.04, very smooth and light, but, there are somethings I would like to change which brings me to me question...best terminal to use to replace lxterminal?(not gonna lie, it for vain reasons).

Comments

• marc
    marc Posts: 647
    That depends ;)

gnome-termina, konsole, urxvt, urxvt-tabbed, xterm,eterm.... there's plenty of terminals out there ;)

Regards
  • asedt
    asedt Posts: 96
    Whats is the problem with that terminal?

Maybe you don't need an other one try using the Virtual console (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_console) that is Ctrl+Alt+F6 (F1-F6) to enter the terminal and Ctrl-Alt-F7 to go back to GUI.
  • Thank you...I will check them out.
  • well, lxterminal is very...plain. I like transparency, I look a huge font database...you know, just change the tangible behavior.
  • atreyu
    atreyu Posts: 216
    rabidvillain wrote:
    well, lxterminal is very...plain. I like transparency, I look a huge font database...you know, just change the tangible behavior.
    Eterm is pretty darn sexy (supports transparency, etc.) but it can be a bear to install, if all the dep packages are not in the repo of your distro.

personally, my fave is urxvt. it is light-weight (versus gnome-terminal, etc.), yet very customizable. I install that and some good TrueType fonts w/hinting (Liberation Mono, Bitstream Vera Sans Mono), put some quick customizations in my .Xresources file, and i'm happy.
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    I run urxvt and konsole, both have their place, but konsole is my favorite because of the ctrl+shift+v paste function which helps alot when using wget to grab tarballs from the net.

Although yakuake is an awesome konsole emulator which calls a terminal from the top of the screen, it is much easier to call and hide for when it is needed.
  • marc
    mfillpot wrote:
    I run urxvt and konsole, both have their place, but konsole is my favorite because of the ctrl+shift+v paste function which helps alot when using wget to grab tarballs from the net.

Although yakuake is an awesome konsole emulator which calls a terminal from the top of the screen, it is much easier to call and hide for when it is needed.

I rather use kwin's window shortcut ability :)

Regards
  • jabirali
    jabirali Posts: 157
    You can paste from the X clipboard in any terminal using the keyboard shortcut Shift-Insert, including in urxvt :)

[edit]
    You could also have some fun with the program xclip, which lets you manipulate the X clipboard directly from e.g. scripts. That would allow you to use the following command to download the last URL copied to the clipboard:
    wget  $(xclip -o)

• mfillpot
    Because the insert key is in various location on my many keyboards the other sequence is preferred.

You do have a good recommendation about playing with xclip, there is much that can be done with it. Once you get used to the many functions xclip proved to be more useful than other ciipboard utilities.
  • atreyu
    mfillpot wrote:

i've never used yakuake, and your description (and its name) intrigued me, so I just installed it - pretty cool idea. I'm more Gnomish, though, so I may have to find another way to do that...
  • marc
    mfillpot wrote:
    Because the insert key is in various location on my many keyboards the other sequence is preferred.

You do have a good recommendation about playing with xclip, there is much that can be done with it. Once you get used to the many functions xclip proved to be more useful than other ciipboard utilities.

You can have a look at xmodmap and set another shortcut (maybe it's possible within X as well)

Regards
  • mfillpot
    atreyu wrote:
    mfillpot wrote:

i've never used yakuake, and your description (and its name) intrigued me, so I just installed it - pretty cool idea. I'm more Gnomish, though, so I may have to find another way to do that...

For gnome there is a project called guake, which is a yakuake clone built on gtk. http://guake.org/
  • You know whats funny...using a terminal to install a terminal, its like using your girlfriend to get you a new girlfriend.
  • atreyu
    mfillpot wrote:
    atreyu wrote:
    mfillpot wrote:

For gnome there is a project called guake, which is a yakuake clone built on gtk. http://guake.org/
    yum install guake
    cheers!
  • atreyu
    rabidvillain wrote:
    You know whats funny...using a terminal to install a terminal, its like using your girlfriend to get you a new girlfriend.
    Doesn't Led Zep have a song where Plant goes something like "...but I know your sister will!". If Plant were a geek he'd definitely use one terminal to install another.
  • marc
    rabidvillain wrote:
    You know whats funny...using a terminal to install a terminal, its like using your girlfriend to get you a new girlfriend.

I actually do not see why this would be funny.

Regards
  • Ok, I am playing with yauake...wow! It is the Crane Kick to Miyagi-Do...very nice.
  • mfillpot
    yakuake is the tool that made it easier to access the terminal, which in turn prompted me to discover more about the command line tools. So I guess that you can say it was the gateway that led me to being comfortable with the cli and minimal window managers.

Categories

Upcoming Training