Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

how to record video from Dazzle DVC100

cogo
cogo Posts: 1

I am running AVLinux with the Liquorix real time Kernel, and I have tried a few programs to record from my Dazzle DVC100 video interface. guvcview was able to find the video feed by itself, but it can't find the audio. I have tried mplayer from the command line, and while I get it to display video with audio (I haven't tried to make it record yet) it works OK for about 7 minutes before it starts buffer overunning. The PC has an Athlon 3100+ and older GForce video card (I think it's a 5500 or 5800) using the nouveau driver. The script that gets me video + audio, but has buffer overruns is:

mplayer tv:// -tv fps=25/1:buffersize=640:driver=v4l2:norm=NTSC:audiorate=44100:immediatemode=0:device=/dev/video0:forceaudio:adevice=/dev/audio1

I found someone had provided a script for someone else, and I modified it to try to find my devices, but I don't understand the meaning of most of these settings, and I don't know what would make things more efficient so I will have enough CPU and hard disk bandwidth.

Any ideas?

Comments

• woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    I'm not sure why guvcview wasn't getting audio. It depends upon some factors that you haven't provided enough information about as yet, such as what kernel version you are running, whether your sounds system is using ALSA or Pulse Audio, version of guvcview, how guvcview is configured, etc. As for video issues, the open source nouveau driver is still buggy. You really need to remove it and install the proprietary nVidia drivers. Change the video drivers, retest, and provide the requested information, and then maybe we can be of some help getting you sorted out.
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Just to relay what I know, and realize that I'm using Fedora which generally uses the most recent nouveau version, I've read:

The most recent version of nouveau seems to handle the old 5200 Nvidia very well.

Recent releases of the Nvidia 173- driver support most recent Xorg, so, they are installable again.

If your using Damentz's liquorix kernel your probably running a Debian based distro, so, you can use sgfxi to install the Nvidia driver or subsequently switch back to using nouveau if that doesn't meet you requirements. I'm assuming that since your running the liquorix kernel you know of the discussions at the techpatterns.com forums where Damentz holds court. If not, let me know and I'll give you links.

As far as PulseAudio, I find that I have to install PA configuration apps in order to set PA up into a usable state for things like the Google Talk Plugin and Skype, so, seeking these out on your distro may be a good idea. Since app names are slightly different for each distro, I'll just give you a list of what I use:
    Pulseaudio Equalizer
    Pulseaudio Manager
    Pulseaudio Volume Control
    Each have use when trying to configure PA.

If you can provide more info, as Rubberman requested (Like which version of liquorix real-time kernel you are using) we can help you a bit more.

Categories

Upcoming Training