Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Supercomputer???

Hi, I am new to all this and probably have some ideas that I want my computer to do and do not exist. But there is this one thing I would like to get my computer to do. I am not quite sure how to explain it but I will do my best. What I would like to do is combine all the computers I have and make a really powerful system that also has something like artificial inteligence. If an of you have watched the tv series "Ocean Girl" you might understand what I am talking about because their HELEN 3000 is something like what I want to do.

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    It looks like you want a cluster, read http://www.mcsr.olemiss.edu/bookshelf/articles/how_to_build_a_cluster.html for instructions on setting one up.
  • asedt
    asedt Posts: 96
    The AI part is just about programming it right, and it's bad to say that you want AI it is better to say what you want it to do. You might want to look into the programming language Lisp commonly used in AI programming. And you don't need to combine the computers to program AI. For most smaller applications I think todays computers are more than fast enough, the problem is in the programming. And combining computers to act as one just add complexity.

As you see AI is a wide topic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_intelligence

The best and only book I have on the topic is "Artificial intelligence A modern approach" (second edition Stuart J. Russell + Peter Norvig) I recommend it if you want to learn more about AI It has very hi quality in my opinion. (I have a China only ex. that I got second hand: ISBN: 7-302-12829-4/TP 8162)
  • Tylerttt
    Tylerttt Posts: 12
    Ok so this stuff looks like going in the right direction. Now how would I be able to talk to the computer in every room in a house? Would I have to install a mic in every room?
  • armsman
    armsman Posts: 1
    i see what you are trying to do but the technology for that wont be made for at least 10 more years and not publicly relesed for 5 more years and then it would cost millions. they propably couldnt make what you want if they got every single piece of technology in the world

if it was made i would be the first to get it
  • Tylerttt
    All this really got me thinking. I don't know about you, but when I think of clustering, I automatically think about using old computers and old technology. Then I said to myself what if we use some of the newer stuff that is becoming more popular today? Then a thought hit me. I remember seeing in Lowe's an HDMI kit that allows someone to hardwire the home with hdmi. And at Best Buy I remember seeing HDMI cables that carry not only audio and video but also ethernet. All we would need then is an HDMI monitor 15"-20" that has a built in web cam and a good quality mic (and speakers, of course). Then we could put one monitor in each room of the house wherever one wants one. The whole system would probably be in the basement (or storage closet if you do not have a basement). The system would be a cluster containing of 10 CPU's. The CPU's would have at least 10 GB of RAM and 20 TB of storage(anyone can change these. I just made them up) The whole system would have some sort of artificial inteligence system on it. The main computer would probably be based in the living room attached to the TV. Here we would have a web cam mounted on top of the TV, wireless keyboard and mouse, and a bluetooth headset. The only things that has me stumped is how would one hook all the HD monitors to the system and what type of OS would run this.
    Some software that would be cool to have on this system is something that would let you call one room from another room at the monitors. It would also be nice to run some third party software that only works (as far as I know) on Windows XP so that you could hook up a home automation system up to the system and so that one could hook up a security system up to the main system.
    Leave comments!!! Let me know about you ideas, and perhaps someone knows someone who would be able to finance such an experiment. ;-)
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Experimenting keeps life interesting, even if the state of current technology doesn't support what your trying to achieve. Hmmm, even Tesla had his detractors.
    BTW - When mentioning items like HDMI cables that can handle Ethernet, try and find those items on the Lowe's or Best Buy online sites and post links. I would like read about them, but, like many of us, don't have the time to research everything we see posted.

Interesting project, I'm curious to see how far you get.
  • Tylerttt
    I will try to remember to post links. Thanks for telling me to do that. I did not think about doing that. Here is the lowes HDMI wall port

http://www.lowes.com/pd_12783-60784-WP1011-WH-V1_0__?productId=1214163&Ntt=hdmi&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?Ntt=hdmi

And here is the Cable I saw @ Best Buy

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/AudioQuest+-+Chocolate+3-2/7'+HDMI+Cable+-+Coffee/Black/9515802.p?id=1218123221012&skuId=9515802&cmp=RMX&ref=06&loc=01&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=9515802

If you google "HDMI ethernet" a lot of stuff comes up also.
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    This link after Googling has me interested. I like this idea.
    http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/hec.aspx

First time I've heard of this capability.
  • Tylerttt
    Really the only thing that I can not figure out is is how would we make each monitor act as a seperate workstation but have them all on the same system so that the whole computer learns and you do not have to move data. I will try to come up with a drawing with what I am trying to say.

Screenshot-c80eb38d698575bea608106a994fdae1.png
  • atreyu
    atreyu Posts: 216
    Goineasy9 wrote:
    This link after Googling has me interested. I like this idea.
    http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/hec.aspx

First time I've heard of this capability.
    ditto. very cool. i'm not ready to replace all my old-school non-ethernet HDMI equipment yet, but when I do...
  • marc
    marc Posts: 647
    I still don't see the point.

You wan't terminals using the Main Computer? You wan't different computers running programs from the Main Computer (X tcp support).

What does "call" another monitor mean?

Regards
  • Tylerttt
    What I mean by call is to use it like a intercom system with video.
  • Lman
    Lman Posts: 52
    Guys... Maybe you oughta look into client computing? In theory, his idea won't work. But suppose he had a set of some small clients or maybe a cloud. Wouldn't that suffice with what his diagram shows?
  • Lman
    Unless he needs to have the voice commands for some reason. But that's nothing new, my mp3 player can use voice files as commands....
  • Tylerttt
    Do you know where I can find out more about this?
  • Lman
    You can look it up on wikipedia or just google it. I know that wyse (a company) makes a pretty good client computer. But ya just look into it and see what you find.
  • Tylerttt
    Please post any replies here: http://www.linux.com/community/groups/viewdiscussion/2378-SuperComputer?groupid=1356

Thanks for all the help given here!!
  • woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    You may want to try QNX - a distributed networked OS that allows you to build systems that are greater than the sum of the parts. Go to: www.qnx.com
  • raluxs
    raluxs Posts: 20
    It would be very hard to have the computer recognize the contents of a conversation, but right now you can have it recognize some specific commands. Maybe it would be easier to have some kind of transmiter rather than a mike in every room , like ST comm-badge or the remote controls used in Home Alone (5 or 6). If would try to do it now , i would set up a home asterisk voip server , add some voice recognition software, and use a cheap wifi voip phone from ebay, maybe an ipaq or ipod or something like that

Categories

Upcoming Training