Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Install ffmpeg... Only to Uninstall gnome?

I am attempting to install ffmpeg via Terminal but I keep coming across messages stating the removal of gnome from my system. I need ffmpeg in order to convert videos via the command line but I am worried about accidentally destroying my laptop. My system is running the x86_64 version of Debian GNU/Linux Squeeze.

If I install ffmpeg and remove gnome, what will happen?

Thank you to anyone who can answer this question!

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    I have installed ffmpeg on many systems and cannot determine what dependency may be causing a conflict that may require removal of gnome components. Can you please share the messages stating that gnome must be removed and anything that may point to the cause.
  • marc
    marc Posts: 647
    What do you use to install it?

What repositories do you have enabled?

What's the message that tells you to uninstall gnome?

Regards
  • mfillpot
    I have been installing it on Slackware, which means that I have been having to deal with all dependencies manually. The dependency list (http://slackbuilds.org/repository/13.1/multimedia/ffmpeg/) if just a bunch of audio and video libraries. I have not experienced any issues with those libraries in relation to the KDE or GTK core files.

I just don't see any reason for it to force removal of a window manager, which is why I would like to see the error message. The dependency list for the app may have invalid entries or you may be misreading the message.

If I have to, I will install debian in a vm to test it for you but I want to see what is being stated first.
  • atreyu
    atreyu Posts: 216
    Then you'll have to use KDE, bleah!

Gnome is a Graphical desktop environment. Chances are, you want it, or some subset of it. I don't know much about Debian, but in general, it sounds like you are having dependency issues. How exactly are you trying to install the ffmpeg software? Sometimes when I get into dependency hell, I have to resort to installing the package manually (from a source tarball, etc.).
  • marc
    atreyu wrote:
    Sometimes when I get into dependency hell, I have to resort to installing the package manually (from a source tarball, etc.).

That means you did something wrong. The further you get into installing programs from source and mixing it with the use of the package manager the more problems you'll get.

Use the right tool for the right job:

Install software <-> package manager!!!

The thing is that if there's a dependency problem you should *solve* it rather than workaround it.

Regards
  • marc wrote:
    What do you use to install it?

What repositories do you have enabled?

What's the message that tells you to uninstall gnome?

Regards

Software Sources:
    http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates main
    http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates main (Source Code)
    http://debian-multimedia.fx-services.com/ stable main
    http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates main contrib non-free

Here is a print out from my terminal:
    timothy@TheBatComputer:/$ su
    Password: 
    root@TheBatComputer:/# apt-get install ffmpeg
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
      libwpd8c2a libreoffice-gnome gtk2-engines-smooth tomboy
      libmono-security2.0-cil libgsf-1-common update-notifier-common
      libndesk-dbus1.0-cil libmono-addins-gui0.2-cil pnm2ppa libaiksaurus-1.2-data
      libhal-storage1 libmono-system2.0-cil update-notifier
      link-grammar-dictionaries-en gdebi libots0 libgnomepanel2.24-cil
      libmono-corlib2.0-cil cli-common bsh-gcj libmono-cairo2.0-cil libgexiv2-0
      libndesk-dbus-glib1.0-cil gnome-themes-extras evolution-exchange
      abiword-common transmission-gtk libmono-i18n-west2.0-cil
      update-manager-gnome libwps-0.1-1 gdebi-core libgoffice-0.8-8-common
      software-center libmono-posix2.0-cil mono-runtime librasqal2
      libmono-addins0.2-cil libgnome2.24-cil transmission-common
      gnome-codec-install shotwell libhsqldb-java-gcj update-manager-core
      libgoffice-0.8-8 libreoffice-gtk simple-scan python-aptdaemon
      liblink-grammar4 libpango1.0-common libgee2 bsh epiphany-extensions
      binfmt-support libwv-1.2-3 libgnome-vfs2.0-cil libgdome2-0 mono-gac
      python-vte libmatroska0 libaiksaurusgtk-1.2-0c2a libglade2.0-cil
      libgsf-1-114 lm-sensors libart2.0-cil aptdaemon libglib2.0-cil mono-2.0-gac
      libgtkmathview0c2a libgconf2.0-cil python-aptdaemon-gtk fancontrol
      libmono-sharpzip2.84-cil gedit-plugins liferea gnome-themes-more
      foomatic-filters-ppds foomatic-db libeggdbus-1-0 libraptor1 liferea-data
      libwpg-0.1-1 libaiksaurus-1.2-0c2a libabiword-2.8 libgtk2.0-cil
      libloudmouth1-0 totem-mozilla min12xxw openoffice.org-gnome
      rhythmbox-plugin-cdrecorder libebml0 libgmime2.4-cil libxcb-render-util0
      libgdome2-cpp-smart0c2a
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
    The following extra packages will be installed:
      libavcodec52 libavcore0 libavdevice52 libavfilter1 libavformat52 libavutil50
      libfaac0 libmp3lame0 libpostproc51 libswscale0 libx264-112 libxvidcore4
    Suggested packages:
      nvidia-libvdpau1
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
      gnome gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
      ffmpeg libavcore0 libavdevice52 libavfilter1 libfaac0 libmp3lame0
      libx264-112 libxvidcore4
    The following packages will be upgraded:
      libavcodec52 libavformat52 libavutil50 libpostproc51 libswscale0
    5 upgraded, 8 newly installed, 2 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 4,774 kB of archives.
    After this operation, 4,534 kB of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
    #hell no
    abort. 

Section that says to uninstall gnome:
      gnome gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg

• atreyu
    atreyu Posts: 216
    Marc,

FYI, I get the problem when I am trying to install a package that is not in my mainline "approved" repo, but is some other repo that i've temporarily enabled to install some specific thing. That repo may have different opinions about package versions that it needs, etc.. and it is far easier to do the *wrong* thing and install it from scratch. I have not created any additional problems for myself doing just that.
  • atreyu wrote:
    Marc,

FYI, I get the problem when I am trying to install a package that is not in my mainline "approved" repo, but is some other repo that i've temporarily enabled to install some specific thing. That repo may have different opinions about package versions that it needs, etc.. and it is far easier to do the *wrong* thing and install it from scratch. I have not created any additional problems for myself doing just that.

Good point; I removed the repos from Wheezy and Sid, as I thought those may have caused the problem. This is still a most perplexing issue.
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Try:
    apt-get policy gnome

On Fedora, there is no gnome package. It is called gnome-desktop. In Debian the gnome package is a metapackage that will pull in much of the gnome desktop environment. The question is, will deleting the metapackage also delete all the packages it pulled in when it was first installed. If it does, then, why is it necessary to use apt-get autoremove to get rid of all those old dependencies.
    My feeling is, since you aren't given a list of all the gnome apps, it may not remove all of gnome. One way of testing this would be to do:
    apt-get -s remove gnome

to simulate what would happen if you actually did the "apt-get remove gnome" command. Besides, if you don't use the -y option, it should ask you (Yes/No) if you want to continue with the removal.

See also:
    http://packages.debian.org/stable/gnome/gnome
    and
    http://linux.die.net/man/8/apt-get
  • marc
    atreyu wrote:
    Marc,

Still wrong: rebuild the package yourself (that's why there is a "src" or "deb-src" section in the apt.conf [might be different, it's been a while since I last used debian]).

You could as well install the deb with dpkg and call the no-deps option (again, don't know the actual commaand).

Trust me: installing programs from source, sooner or later, will give you headaches.
  • marc wrote:
    Trust me: installing programs from source, sooner or later, will give you headaches.[/quote]

I concur; I used to have so many problems when I exclusively compiled from source. Now, I only undertake it when it is the only feasible option available.

In regards to Goineasy9's suggestion of simulating a removal of Gnome, I have tested the following in terminal:

root@TheBatComputer:/# apt-get -s remove gnome
    Building dependency tree       
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
      libwpd8c2a libreoffice-gnome gtk2-engines-smooth tomboy
      libmono-security2.0-cil libgsf-1-common update-notifier-common
      libndesk-dbus1.0-cil libmono-addins-gui0.2-cil pnm2ppa libaiksaurus-1.2-data
      libhal-storage1 libmono-system2.0-cil update-notifier
      link-grammar-dictionaries-en gdebi libots0 libgnomepanel2.24-cil
      libmono-corlib2.0-cil cli-common bsh-gcj libmono-cairo2.0-cil libgexiv2-0
      libndesk-dbus-glib1.0-cil gnome-themes-extras evolution-exchange
      abiword-common transmission-gtk libmono-i18n-west2.0-cil
      update-manager-gnome libwps-0.1-1 gdebi-core libgoffice-0.8-8-common
      software-center libmono-posix2.0-cil mono-runtime librasqal2
      libmono-addins0.2-cil libgnome2.24-cil transmission-common
      gnome-codec-install shotwell libhsqldb-java-gcj update-manager-core
      libgoffice-0.8-8 libreoffice-gtk simple-scan python-aptdaemon
      liblink-grammar4 libpango1.0-common libgee2 bsh epiphany-extensions
      binfmt-support libwv-1.2-3 libgnome-vfs2.0-cil libgdome2-0 mono-gac
      python-vte libmatroska0 libaiksaurusgtk-1.2-0c2a libglade2.0-cil
      libgsf-1-114 lm-sensors libart2.0-cil aptdaemon libglib2.0-cil mono-2.0-gac
      libgtkmathview0c2a libgconf2.0-cil python-aptdaemon-gtk fancontrol
      libmono-sharpzip2.84-cil gedit-plugins liferea gnome-themes-more
      foomatic-filters-ppds foomatic-db libeggdbus-1-0 libraptor1 liferea-data
      libwpg-0.1-1 libaiksaurus-1.2-0c2a libabiword-2.8 libgtk2.0-cil
      libloudmouth1-0 totem-mozilla min12xxw openoffice.org-gnome
      rhythmbox-plugin-cdrecorder libebml0 libgmime2.4-cil libxcb-render-util0
      libgdome2-cpp-smart0c2a
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
      gnome
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 5 not upgraded.
    Remv gnome [1:2.30+7]
    root@TheBatComputer:/# 

It did not state anything about removing the gnome-desktop-environment, which would cause a massive amount of failure on an epic level. I am going to create a virtual matryoshka version of Debian within Debian and remove gnome. I will report back my findings ASAP.
  • marc
    What happens if you try
    apt-get instasll ffmpeg gnome

You could as well use apt-cache to find out dependencies about ffmpeg...

Regards
  • marc wrote:
    What happens if you try
    apt-get instasll ffmpeg gnome

You could as well use apt-cache to find out dependencies about ffmpeg...

Regards

Here's what came up:
    timothy@TheBatComputer:/$ su
    Password: 
    root@TheBatComputer:/# apt-get install ffmpeg gnome
    Building dependency tree       
    gnome is already the newest version.
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
     ffmpeg : Depends: libavdevice52 (>= 5:0.6.1+svn20101128) but it is not going to be installed
     gnome : Depends: gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg (>= 0.10.10) but it is not going to be installed
             Recommends: gnome-office (= 1:2.30+7) but it is not going to be installed
    E: Broken packages
    root@TheBatComputer:/# 

• marc
    I've checked the repos you listed and gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg and ffmpeg are provided in both of them. What is happening here (probably) is that you installed something from one repo and later on you added a new one.

One thing that might solve this is using the repo with the most updated version *first* (higher/first in the config file). "apt-get install repo/ffmpeg" might work as well.

You could try removing gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg and install it again (for that you'll need to use the -force option)

It's kinda late right now so I'll come back tomorrow to check if you solved the issue!

Regards
  • if u remove gnome thn u wont be able to access Linux graphically
  • mfillpot
    kushallinux wrote:
    if u remove gnome thn u wont be able to access Linux graphically

That was already decided, the purpose of this thread is to figure out why the installation of ffmpeg is stating it would cause gnome to be removed. I think Marc is on the right track to help the OP resolve his issue.
  • Goineasy9
    I'm still wondering what the output of apt-get -s remove gnome would be. Gnome app in Debian is a macro.
  • marc
    Goineasy9 wrote:
    I'm still wondering what the output of apt-get -s remove gnome would be. Gnome app in Debian is a macro.

Macro or metapackage?
  • Goineasy9
    Sorry what I meant was metapackage, not macro, like I said in an earlier post.
  • mfillpot wrote:
    kushallinux wrote:
    if u remove gnome thn u wont be able to access Linux graphically

That was already decided, the purpose of this thread is to figure out why the installation of ffmpeg is stating it would cause gnome to be removed. I think Marc is on the right track to help the OP resolve his issue.

Update: After accidentally f*%!ing up my / directory while exploring a different issue, I opted to back up my pertinent data and start over. This time, I paid careful attention to which repositories were enabled during installations and upgrades. I used Wheezy only to obtain LibreOffice files before disabling the repository. It may have been around this time originally when something went wrong and synaptic attempted to pull different files from different repositories (I am still attempting to figure out what really went haywire). Thank you to everyone who helped with this curious conundrum!

Categories

Upcoming Training