Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Want linux for offline development.

I'm looking to add linux to a laptop (about a year old) but want to also keep the windows 7. Considering a partition.

My primary code language is php... any release suggestions?

Comments

• ColeLIS wrote:
    I'm looking to add linux to a laptop (about a year old) but want to also keep the windows 7. Considering a partition.
    My primary code language is php... any release suggestions?

If you are interested in trying out Linux without deleting Windows 7 from your hard drive, I would recommend running a distribution as a virtual operating system. I usually use VirtualBox for running Windows applications which do not run as smoothly in Wine.

In terms of your first distribution, I found Ubuntu to be an excellent "sandbox" system for exploring the differences and similarities between Windows and *NIX based systems.
  • atreyu
    atreyu Posts: 216
    If you are in "evaluation" mode, try out the Live versions of various Linux distros, most of them have one these days. When you're happy w/one, then you can get into installing, partitioning, etc.

I know that Fedora has a ton of PHP-related packages available via YUM. I'm sure Ubuntu is the same...
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    You can easily install PHP on any linux based distro,so I recommend trying LiveCDs as atreyu stated to try them out, then once you find a distro you like you can shrink the windows partition and install the new distro, then once it is installed just install apache httpd and php.
  • saqman2060
    saqman2060 Posts: 777
    Any linux OS will support php. As Atreyu said, test multiple LiveCDs, and see which one suites you best. Ubuntu based distros have a very easy install manager that will allow you to dual boot with a previous OS.

Categories

Upcoming Training