Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

i need big help to create a touchscreen app

hello

I am trying to create a touch screen application for a restaurant. I need your guide from the basic. I dont have any idea about the operating system for this application and tools. I want to finish this project within 3 months. Please help me. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    At the moment I can't help you, but, I'm going to start testing the touchscreen abilities soon and hopefully will be able to contribute to thread. I also hope to learn from posts here as well.

P.S. My wife's a chef so I hope you will keep you app Open Source.
  • woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    sarath.sridhar wrote:
    hello

I am trying to create a touch screen application for a restaurant. I need your guide from the basic. I dont have any idea about the operating system for this application and tools. I want to finish this project within 3 months. Please help me. Thanks in advance
    That's a short time to get up to speed on a new system and integrate an interface such as a touchscreen device. Depending upon the kernel (distribution+version of Linux) you use, there is touchscreen support in the kernel. I am running a clone of Red Hat Enterprise 6, and the kernel currently supports some 18-20 different devices, including USB devices. So, have you made any choices on what device you want to use? What distribution+version of Linux you will install? What development tool kits you will use? ... a laundry list of stuff to consider. If you need help, you can visit my profile page and contact me via email.
  • woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    Ph03nix wrote:
    now,, iam on programming the linux viosh,, for touchscreen system maybe its to hard for me...
    So, how did you get roped into this project? This is not trivial stuff. If you don't know what you are doing, you are going to seriously harm your client. There are several areas of expertise you need to accomplish this:

1. Linux operating systems, kernels, and device drivers.
    2. C and/or C++ programming.
    3. User interface and HID (human interface device) integration with applications (the POS system).

If you aren't already competent on the first 2, I don't think you can accomplish #3 with any reasonable expectation of success. It is time for you to bring in people with the requisite experience and expertise.
  • ben
    ben Posts: 134
    IMHO here's the most important question:
    - What kind of experience do you've ?

Can you tell us your skills or your knowledge ?
    Touch screen is just a peripheral, there's no magic around it, if you want to get an app running within 3 month I suggest you to use it as a common input device, a touch screen is generally recognized as a mouse if you don't need to handle/deal gestures or these esoteric new technologies.
    Are you able to create a web app for example ? in this case you may rethink your app and go ahead with your development with the tools you're familiar, your linux system may be ready in a moment, just install Xorg and a browser and you're ready to go.

Let me know if you need help on this
    Hope it helps

Ben

Categories

Upcoming Training