Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Poller taking up 25% of CPU?

RHEL 4 Update 3 running with the 2.6.9-78.EL.smp kernel. Two processes running "poller" and they are eating up 25% of CPU. Not sure whats going on, and it looks like it's something to do with the kernel events.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

John

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Have you run "ps -AF|grep poller" so see what the parent pid is to track the source application?
  • johnj65
    johnj65 Posts: 3
    Ran the "ps -AF | grep poller" and the PPID was "6" which is "event/0". Only time I'm seeing the two poller daemons is during heavy load on the servers.

Thanks,
    John
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    poller is checking status on hardware devices for changes. The nearly constant polling that you are referring to could be referring to a hardware bottleneck where the requests greatly exceed the hardware capabilities.

Can you share some hardware and maximum use information so we can help you to locate the bottleneck?
  • johnj65
    johnj65 Posts: 3
    No hardware changes to the system (goverment project). Wondering if the checks can simply be disabled?

I'll pull together the hardware information.

Thanks,
    John
  • woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    Given RHEL 4.3 is WAAAAY out of date (RHEL 5 came out some 4 years ago, and 6 this past winter), is there any way to upgrade the OS on this system? Trust me, you will be happier having done so.

Categories

Upcoming Training