Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

VirtualBox issues

Ok, here is my issue. I have ubuntu server 10.10 installed with ubuntu desktop installed on top of it (gnome). I have virtual box and was able to get it running good with a dynamic drive running Windows 7 64bit. I'm trying to install it now with a static drive to see if I see a performance difference. However it doesn't get past 0% every time. Any ideas on how to get past this?

My system:

AMD Phenom II (Quad Core) processor

1 TB Hard Drive, non partitioned, fully given to Ubuntu

(Trying to give 400GB to Virtual Windows 7 Pro 64bit)

8 GB DDR3 RAM (Giving 4GB to the virtual windows guest OS)

Need any other info please let me know, hope someone has a idea what is going on. I tried googling it, didn't come up with anything tho. Also this is using Oracle's VirtualBox, not VMWare or anything else.

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Are you having problems with a Linux or Windows 7 virtual installation?
    Also what exactly is freezing and can you provide any specific details to help us to understand why it is freezing?
  • RickSMO
    RickSMO Posts: 123
    well I just got done whiping my computer, after a few failed virtual static space installs my system seemed really slow.My main system is Ubuntu, I am installing, or trying to, a static virtual drive (instead of dynamic, which worked fine) for Windows 7 64 bit Professional.

after I choose how much space to allocate to it, and it attempts to make it, it never goes past 0%, and freezes, and I have to reboot.

I don't get a chance to start it and actually install the OS.
  • mfillpot
    Are you sure that you have enough space left on the selected partition for the virtual drive?
    can you provide the output of "df -h" and tell us where you are trying to create the virtual drive?
  • RickSMO
    ubuntu currently has 500GB instead of the 1TB it had yesterday, but here it is.

440G 24G 394G 6% /
    none 3.9G 304K 3.9G 1% /dev
    none 4.0G 200K 4.0G 1% /dev/shm
    none 4.0G 80K 4.0G 1% /var/run
    none 4.0G 0 4.0G 0% /var/lock
    none 440G 24G 394G 6% /var/lib/ureadahead/debugfs
    /dev/sda1 228M 50M 167M 23% /boot
    /home/rick/.Private 440G 24G 394G 6% /home/rick
  • mfillpot
    And what directory were you trying to build the virtual disk in?
  • RickSMO
    the default directory, which is inside the virtual box folder I think.
  • mfillpot
    Since your information is not giving me enough details to pinpoint the problem and the hard drive space is sufficient, then I recommend for you to look at the virtualbox debugging documents to pinpoint the issue at http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch12.html
  • Lman
    Lman Posts: 52
    Oh either that or Virtualbox has an IRC Channel specifically for users.. Didn't know if you saw it or not... #vbox

Categories

Upcoming Training