Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

New Virtual Box issues.

RickSMO
RickSMO Posts: 123

(to clarify, ubuntu is my OS, windows is in my virtual box)

ok new question, I'm new to virtual anything, I'm loving it so far, I have windows 7 64 bit pro, validation worked, updating is working great, installing programs is perfect. Now as a test, I am trying to get fallout new vegas to work.

I'm running into directx errors and fallout is not able to load. I have everything updated so I think its something to do with my virtual box or a setting.

My system:

8 gigs DDR3

AMD PhenomII (Quad core)

1 TB hard drive (Full drive is located to Ubuntu, no partitions aside from swap)

ATI Radeon 4850 graphics card

I'm running Ubuntu server 10.10 with gnome desktop installed. from apt-get ubuntu-desktop

I gave my virtual Windows 7 64 bit the following resources:

4 gigs of RAM

and 400 GB hard drive space, dynamic.

Please let me know if you need any more information, any help is appreciated.

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    No virtual machine can run at full performance. You can attempt to install the virtualbox client drivers into the windows 7 virtual machine to increase performance and get some3d acceleration working, but there is no guarantee that it will work as well as a physical installation.
  • woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    You need to enable 2d and 3d graphics for your virtual machine, and then install the VirtualBox Guest Additions drivers in Windows. That should help with the directx problems. Also, give your VM the maximum amount of video memory, and enough RAM to avoid hitting the Windows swap file. Finally, make sure you are using the updated ATI graphics drivers that support 3d hardware acceleration.

Categories

Upcoming Training