Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

NEdit and disabling auto indent

Heya,

Any NEdit pros out there? I have a NEdit issue and google has not helped me (rare). I checked the NEdit forum at sourceforge, but it looks inactive so I thought i'd try here. There is no NEdit users group here (first place i checked), so i created one (pending approval or something right now).

Anyway, my problem is with auto-indent. I can manually disable it via Preferences > Auto Indent > Off, but I cannot make the change persistent. If I do Preferences > Default Settings > Auto Indent > Off, the little Off radio button is checked and then I do Preferences > Save Defaults > OK and close NEdit. The next time I fire up NEdit, though, auto indent is back on. The weird thing, though, is that under Preferences > Default Settings > Auto Indent, it still reports as Off. What the dilly-o?

I tried running nedit from the command line with the -noautoindent option, too, but that does not seem to work: i still have to manually disable auto indent.

I'm on Fedora 8. I'm using nedit from nedit.org. This is the output of nedit -version:

NEdit 5.5

Sep 30, 2004

Built on: Linux, 386, GNU C

Built at: Oct 1 2004, 15:55:40

With Motif: 2.1.30 [@(#)Motif Version 2.1.30]

Running Motif: 2.1 [unknown]

Server: The X.Org Foundation 10300000

Visual: 32-bit TrueColor (ID 0x6b)

Locale: en_US

I also tried the nedit package made for Fedora 8, but it behaves exactly the same way.

I could find nothing about indent in my ~/.nedit/nedit.rc file either. Is there some X resource I can use for this?

thx,

-bill

Comments

• woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    I have been using NEdit for about 20 years - my wife is a staff scientist at Fermi Lab and we were friends with the original developer(s) there. I just tested my version 5.5 on SL6 (Scientific Linux 6 - a clone of RHEL6) and it saved and restored the auto-indent context properly. Since the default settings are stored in ~/.nedit/neditrc it is possible that for some reason either the directory or file is owned by someone else, has the wrong permissions, or whatever. Check that out.
  • atreyu
    atreyu Posts: 216
    my ~/.nedit/nedit.rc file ownership and permissions are okay.

Per your comment about using a RH clone, I tried it out on a CentOS box and sure enough, the auto indent setting is properly retained! This issue appears to be specific to Fedora, or at least occurs in Fedora 8. There is an updated version of the nedit package for F8, so i tried it, but no luck - same behavior.

I do not want to switch OSs just to get this to work!
  • woboyle
    Well, there may be a problem with the version built on FC8. Download the sources from http://nedit.sourceforge.net/ and rebuild on your FC8 system to see if that resolves the problem.
  • atreyu
    I've tried rebuilding nedit from source in the past (to address other UI-issues) and it was a pain. But I'm desperate, so i tried again - recompile failed again (can give the details if anyone is interested).

However, I thought I'd try to recompile the nedit SRPM from my CentOS box on which nedit is behaving, since I figured that more likely to successfully recompile (since it's already "Fedora-ized"). I eventually got it to recompile into a binary RPM (had to get openmotif-devel first). Then I removed my old nedit binary and ~/.nedit/nedit.rc and installed the newly compiled nedit RPM...still no luck.

Thanks for your input, btw.

-b
  • woboyle
    Well, since FC8 is pretty much an "antique" in internet terms, why not upgrade the OS? Yeah, I know, you probably have applications that won't take the upgrade that you need... :-)
  • atreyu
    Yes, I suppose I *could* do that (i verified that Fedora 10 at least does not exhibit this bug). I have no special apps that would not work if i upgraded, but the last time i tried an in-place upgrade of Fedora, it was a very un-funny Comedy of Errors.
  • woboyle
    I understand that situation. I had to upgrade my workstation recently from CentOS 5.5 to Scientific Linux (RHEL) 6. Much suffering and gnashing of teeth at first, but now I wouldn't go back for anything! :-) Sometimes you just have to pay the piper!
  • I suppose that the language preferences take precedence over the default preferences
    For example, if you edit a perl script, you have to modify this line of the file ~/.nedit/nedit.rc to suppress autoindent
    Perl:.pl .pm .p5 .PL:"^[ \\t]*#[ \\t]*!.*perl":Auto:None:::".,/\\\\`'!$@#%^&amp;*()-=+{}[]"":;<>?~|":\n\
    will become
    Perl:.pl .pm .p5 .PL:"^[ \\t]*#[ \\t]*!.*perl"::None:::".,/\\\\`'!$@#%^&amp;*()-=+{}[]"":;<>?~|":\n\

Categories

Upcoming Training