Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Control user access to a folder

Options

Hi everyone

I currently use ubuntu 10.10 which i have installed on a usb stick

I have an application installed under the directory /home/ubuntu/MyApplication

Inside the application folder there is a launch.sh script which launches the application. I have created a symbolic link on the desktop which calls /home/ubuntu/MyApplication/launch.sh that launches the application from the desktop

The usb stick will be shared between a number of users. I want the other users to be able to launch my application, but i don't want them to be able to view or copy the content of /home/ubuntu/MyApplication which contains application data

I set up a Private directory using ecryptfs-utils and i placed the content of /home/ubuntu/MyApplication inside the private directory

ecryptfs-setup-private

The problem i'm having is that after a restart when i log on and try to launch the application through the symbolic link on the desktop, i get a file not found error, because at this moment the Private directory is not mounted.

When i mount the Private directory than the content inside the Private directory becomes readable.

I want the users to be able to launch the application through the shortcut on the desktop but at the same time i want the content of the Private folder to remain encrypted(don't want them to copy, view or modify the files)

Any suggestions are more then welcome

Thanks,

El

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Options
    Unfortunately the users need to be able to read the contents of the directory to launch your application, there is no solution that would allow them to only read those files while in the application.

Categories

Upcoming Training