Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

best multimedia production studio

Hi. I want to start getting involved in the multimedia and graphics business so I've been doing a little research on which distro would make the best audio-video and graphics production studio and so far I've come up with Ubuntu Studio, 64Studio, ArtixtX, AV Linux and Musix. I must say I'm having a bit of a multiple dilemma here.

I'm inclined not to choose Ubuntu Studio because I read a lot of buggy problems related to it, and 64Studio since they are said to be lagging behind in development/support right now. As for the others, I can't say much about them. ArtistX looks impressive from looking at its website but I need to know the experience of other users.

I would like you to speak of your favourite distros, why and your experiences. A clear explanation of their pros and cons would be very appreciated.

Comments

• I don't use a multimedia production distro, just a regular desktop thats very simple and stable to use.

Here is what I suggest, download virtualbox, and install one of the multimedia production OSs on it and give it a spin.
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    One must also remember that most of the Linux Distros you mention are very similar under the hood. It's really the collection of apps that have been included in each individual distro that make them more suited for Audio/Video. Besides setting up different distros in a VM or just looking at them with the Live CD's, try to see what apps are doing the real work in those distros. Since you can install those same apps in most any distro, you might want to find a Linux Distro your comfortable with, and just add those apps that you favor to get the job done.
  • I prefer Ubuntu, but I don't have a convenient internet connection to download and install all those software. That's why I've been leaning towards ArtistX; its based on Ubuntu I think, and has almost all the free audio, video and graphics software (the Live-DVD is 3.3 GB ). If there was a way I could somehow transfer the apps installed in ArtistX to the regular Ubuntu installation, then that would be good. Other than that, I ready-made multimedia distro would be preferable for me.
  • ben
    ben Posts: 134
    Don't forget to try dyne:bolic
    my favorite for editing audio/video stuff

Categories

Upcoming Training