Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

New Netbook w/ Linux

I've been considering getting a new netbook that has a Linux operating system. However, the sole purpose of me getting a netbook is so I can write, publish and download books on/from it. I'm a huge reader and I'm not loyal to just one bookstore; I thought a computer would be a great choice, rather than a nook or a Kindle to avoid DRM issues (they all have apps to download onto computers).

The problem is, Barnes and Noble has an app for a PC, but doesn't specify the operating system requirements, and Amazon has an app for Windows PC, but not one listed for Linux.

Now, I've been assured by they guy that's selling me the netbook that my harddrive from my old, Windows-based laptop would still be completely 100% accessible on the Linux-based netbook.

So coupla questions:

#1 Would B&N app work on this netbook?

#2 Would Amazons? Or can I somehow FORCE it to work?

#3 Is the salesperson above-board w/ his claim that all my Windows based programs and files would be accesible through the Linux netbook?

Plz keep in mind, I've only ever owned Windows OS before, though I used Macs entirely in college. I'm not particularly loyal to one OS or another, I just don't want to lose all the stuff I've collected; or give myself a headache trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

Thanks!

JL

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    1. The kindle PC app can be used on a Linux based system using the wine emulator, http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=10597

2. I have not seen any cases where someone has been able to get the nook app to install on a Linux based system, but a quick search of google will show you how to remove the DRM from their files to read them on a Linux based system.

1,2*. You can also download books via google books in which the pdf version is easily readable on all platforms.

3. The old window hard drive will still be completely accessible in which you can use it to dual boot the system to choose which OS you like, but emulation of windows based apps on a Linux based system is questionable because the wine team must basically reverse engineer the software to figure out what is needed to make it work. you can check the appdb on winehq.org to se what can work. When doing emulation it is not as simple and opening an exe on another partition you must reinstall the application within the emulator app.

Now the publishing and writing of books on a Linux based system is quite easy using the LaTeX publishing tools, but unfortunately most commercial companies do not make their software for Linux based systems at this time.

What I recommend is to ask the guy to show you how to accomplish your goals on the netbook as a determination of the actual difficulty involved.
  • OK, I purchased the netbook and am on it now:) I clicked the link you gave me and don't understand it... am I supposed to download the kindle for PC on my computer ? It didn't work; something about the file... or was there an app I missed on that page you sent me to?
  • Ok, so some bashing-head-against-wall later, I figured out what I was doing wrong, but the wine app for the kindle wasn't getting very good reviews... so here's my thought:

Since I have that external harddrive formatted to PC, could I just download windows for pc on that, rip the DRM off it (like i would B&N's ebooks) and upload the newly naked books onto my netbook?

I've downloaded the calibre app, so I've got that, and the Wine 1.2 as well.

Oh, and one other question: I tried twice to download the calibre app using the terminal, and both times they wouldn't actually finish up the download. I have no idea what I was doing wrong, but while the download was running, my computer kept telling me that my memory was getting smaller. So, did those two failed attempts soak up some memory? Now, in a windows PC, I could run a registry search and delete any fragments, but I can't figure out how to do that on this new computer and I'm too scared to go poking around until something moves. FWIW the third time it did it just fine (I discovered the Synaptic Package Manager and lo and behold, it and the 1.2 Wine download and all the support files where there) and now I have a working calibre.
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    There is nothing wrong with having a dual boot system and using windows for what you must, in many cases that is the only solution to access some proprietary software, you also have the option to install windows in a virtual machine within your linux installation, setup a shared folder between the two and only boot the VM to accomplish set tasks without allocating any set hard drive space.

Some sites have download links that require acceptance of license terms which would stop a non http download tool from accessing the download file, which may be what stopped your download.

If you are questioning what is using your memory you can run called program called top in the command line to see what is using your resources.

Categories

Upcoming Training