Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Android Device Picks for Holidays?

What is everybody eye-ing to put under the tree this CHristmas?

Comments

• Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    I just got my Droid 2, but, the Dell Streak and Samsung Galaxy S are definitely worth a look.
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    I am personally waiting for the 3.0 release which should work better on tablets before I really think about giving android devices as gifts.
  • I got the HTC Incredible in the summer, and I'd recommend it to anyone. I too am waiting for 3.0 because I think it'll be great for tablets. Tablets haven't hit the point where I want to buy one yet, but I think they're up and coming.
  • bubar
    bubar Posts: 1
    I am looking for tablet, too :-) (allready have a ""old"" HTC Magic 32B, with android 2.1, community distribution)

Interesting by new Arm-compatible as
    -> Freescale IMX 515
    or
    -> Telechips Tcc 8902
    or eventually Nvida Tegra

Chinese are crazy :-) They launch many tablets started from 60 euros (wwd) and have 10,2' with 1ghz arm-like 512ram multitouch, bluetooth, wifi, 3g support, usb ports and many more, started from 150 euros \o/

Linux is everywhere, Android. Unfortunatly we dont have full Libre driver and software (need to have big works with them to evolve position on userland gpl driver position. And need to merge android completly upstream, i think it is better, no ?). But, that's great, Linux advance quickly :-)
    B)B) :woohoo:
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    bubar wrote:
    I am looking for tablet, too :-) (allready have a ""old"" HTC Magic 32B, with android 2.1, community distribution)

Interesting by new Arm-compatible as
    -> Freescale IMX 515
    or
    -> Telechips Tcc 8902
    or eventually Nvida Tegra

Chinese are crazy :-) They launch many tablets started from 60 euros (wwd) and have 10,2' with 1ghz arm-like 512ram multitouch, bluetooth, wifi, 3g support, usb ports and many more, started from 150 euros \o/

Linux is everywhere, Android. Unfortunatly we dont have full Libre driver and software (need to have big works with them to evolve position on userland gpl driver position. And need to merge android completly upstream, i think it is better, no ?). But, that's great, Linux advance quickly :-)
    B)B) :woohoo:

I agree that the advancement and potential for Linux based systems is great and that Android should push harder to get their changes upstream and merged back into the main kernel, but they can only work so fast.

With Andfroid, Meego and the other Linux based mobile operating systems it looks like the mobile market can prove to be very competitive and potentially very affordable in the next few years.

Categories

Upcoming Training