Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

LINUX.COM Email Address

Hi, Quick question,

I just became a member of the Linux Foundation, payed my fees, got my @linux.com email etc... And then I realize that the email is just a vanity email, that I can't actually REPLY from @linux.com... Is that right?

For example, I have my @linux.com set up to forward to my ymail, which is fine, but then when I hit reply it replies from Ymail not Linux.com...

Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of having this new email address?? Is there any way to solve this? If not I think I just got RIPPED OFF by the linux foundation.........

refund please....

:'(

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Your concerns and issues have been passed to the Linux Foundation administrative staff, they will be contacted you to resolve your issues.
  • dames
    dames Posts: 1
    Although your @linux.com address is a forwarding service you can send mail as "youralias@linux.com" by changing or adding an outgoing email address. Most mail clients including many of the web based mail services allow you to do this.

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with Ymail but very likely there is a way to do this. We have hundreds of users who actively send and receive using their @linux.com alias.

If you wish to discuss this further or to request the cancellation and refund of your membership please email mebershipservices@linuxfoundation.org.

David Ames
  • itbcn8
    itbcn8 Posts: 23
    Oh cool.
    Ymail is Yahoo mail, I'm not sure if I can send from a custom address... But I do use desktop clients more and more so I can try that.

Thanks for your help.
  • mfillpot
    The instructions for setting a replyto address in yahoo mail is at http://email.about.com/od/yahoomailtips/qt/et_reply_to.htm

If you can list your client app then we may be able to point you to the settings to set the replyto address.
  • I've had a Linux address since 2010 and I just sent it a test message today as I noticed I wasn't getting any emails from that address anymore.. here is the Postfix error I recently received:

The Postfix program

<jasonb@linux.com>: host smtp1.linuxfoundation.org[140.211.169.13] said: 550
    5.1.1 <jasonb@linux.com>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in
    virtual alias table (in reply to RCPT TO command)
  • mfillpot
    If you are having problems with you linux.com e-mail, please contact the linux foundation membership services at mebershipservices@linuxfoundation.org and they can assist with your issues.
  • ChandrasekharanKunnath
    edited November 2017

Linux does not allow me to browse the internet and access any site: it declares even sites like Google as insecure. What is the problem and how does one solve it?

• Chandrasekharan... your post has nothing to do with this thread. The previous post is nearly 5 years old. Please start your own thread.

• Hi Everyone,
    Any luck about how we can send reply from Linux email from gmail?

@itbcn8 @mfillpot @dames

• I too would like to send on behalf of my linux.com email address. When trying to add it to my Gmail Suite I am getting the following error:
    You must send through linux.com SMTP servers when you send as @linux.com

• Gmail > Settings > Account > Send Email As
    I get the following error too.

Functionality not enabled.
    You must send emails through linux.com SMTP servers when you send as *********@linux.com. However, this functionality is not available for your account. Please contact your domain administrator for more information.

Please help!

Categories

Upcoming Training