Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

[help] remastering ubuntu become ubuntu multimedia

dear friends..

I just working on my Final Exam to remaster ubuntu become ubuntu multimedia, i wanna u all to help me mention the best application for each function in multimedia operation,,

these are the operation that I wanted on my ubuntu multimedia

1. sound player

2. sound editor

3. sound converter

4. video player

5. video editor

6. video converter

7. drawing

8. picture editor

9. animation

10. 2D mode

11. 3D model

12 other application that you suggest

please tell me ur opinion by answring like this :

1. amarok

2. audacity

3. etc...

thank for the answer n i also need your opinion about making good multimedia remastering :)

with my pleasure

Musthofa from Indonesia

Comments

• no reply yet?
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Each person how their own opinions about what is best, and based upon your specific needs the preferred tools changes.

I would recommend checking out http://ubuntustudio.org/ and testing the included applications to see what best fits your need, or you can just use ubuntu studio.
  • there are more useful applications beside the multimedia packages that included in ubuntustudio, i just wanna know about applications that users almost used
  • woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    Audio editing: amarok and audacity are both good choices
    Video editing: kdenlive (uses KDE), cinelerra (professional quality non-linear video editor)
    Video converter: ffmpeg (only one to use, for my $$), mencoder (simpler/easier to use - not as capable as ffmpeg)

Anyway, it sounds like you are doing a remix of ubuntu studio: http://ubuntustudio.org/
  • Most of the apps that is needed to turn ubuntu into a multimedia station can be found in the repositories like synapic and ubuntu software center. There are lots of media programs in opensource format, not all can be installed on ubuntu and not all are known. What you can do, which would be easier, is to go to ubuntu.com, and in the search box, type media applications, you will get 143 links.
  • Also, some KDE media apps can be installed also on ubuntu. You will have to download KDE libs, for KDE package compatiblity, go to ubuntu software center and search for KDE media apps.
  • mfillpot
    My favorites are:

1. sound player - vlc, amarok
    2. sound editor - audacity
    3. sound converter - audio convert
    4. video player - vlc
    5. video editor - kdenlive
    6. video converter - ffmpeg
    7. drawing - inkscape
    8. picture editor - gimp
    9. animation - blender
    10. 2D mode - N/A
    11. 3D model - blender
  • thanx for the reply mr.Rubberman

it's sound like that but in my opinion users almost enjoy for using ubuntu than ubuntustudio in many cases, so i'd like to remaster ubuntu became ubuntu for multimedia :)
  • mfillpot
    ovasagaf wrote:
    thanx for the reply mr.Rubberman

it's sound like that but in my opinion users almost enjoy for using ubuntu than ubuntustudio in many cases, so i'd like to remaster ubuntu became ubuntu for multimedia :)

Now, will you be trying to develop a multimedia ubuntu based os, or will this just be setup from a pre-determined apt-get script?
  • thanx for the reply Istimsak

i agree with u, there are alot of media application in ubuntu software center n it's ease to get.

In my case, i cant choose applications according to myself, i need some people who even used multimedia on linux for the best selection and i know i can get it here :)

and for the KDE media, i will consider it although my base is gnome

• Now, will you be trying to develop a multimedia ubuntu based os, or will this just be setup from a pre-determined apt-get script?

yes, I am trying to develop a multimedia ubuntu based os and for now the users are from my collage first :) .

it is alright, isn't it?
  • mfillpot wrote:
    My favorites are:

1. sound player - vlc, amarok
    2. sound editor - audacity
    3. sound converter - audio convert
    4. video player - vlc
    5. video editor - kdenlive
    6. video converter - ffmpeg
    7. drawing - inkscape
    8. picture editor - gimp
    9. animation - blender