Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

VirtuaLinux- Virtualization of Linux OS

I wasnt sure where to post this... I've been working on a website that will help people decide which Linux distro to choose, by virtually trying it out online. Its pretty simple, but I tried to keep to the spirit of the linux distros. Its full of links for new users, an overview of the OS, and more. :)

http://virtualinux.tk (why .tk? its open source like linux ;) ) -the link doesn't work, but you can copy and paste into your web browser to see it :)

As of now, I've made Ubuntu, KDE, Mandriva, and Fedora open to virtualization. Tell me if you guys like it, and give me suggestions!!:cheer: :laugh: I'm not trying to push my website to get some hits on it. I'm just trying to help new Linux users choose before the 2 month wait for free discs or the 7 hour download (that I went through). :)

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    This seems to be a good idea, thanks for sharing it here, I will be going to your site to test and offer recommendations.

As a note I will move this to the "New to Linux" section so new users can use your tool.
  • thanks, Mfillpot!! :) it fits much better in the new to linux forum. :D I hope you like it :)
  • mfillpot
    I have been reviewing the site trying to find out how a new user would use your site to test distros, but it appear to be images of the various desktops with inline links. The current use does offer some information to assist the users, but it in no way allows them to experience the difference.

I would like to recommend for you to add web desktops (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_desktop) into persistent non-networked virtual machines running the various distros so the users can really poke around and test the various tools available in the chosen distros.
  • Yeah, the website isn't complete yet. I'm researching ways to make the virtual desktop interactive, and the link you gave me helped a lot :) thanks! :D
  • This is an interesting website, very visual and easy to navigate. The inline links are very creative. All you need are the VMs of the linux distros.

Will you be updating the distros on your site as new distro releases come out?
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    @virtualinux
    I fixed the link for you that was in your first post. You can edit that post to reflect that the link now works.
  • Yes, I will be updating the site as new distros come out- I need someone who can help me out with the VM though. it seems way too advanced for me :S

thanks for updating the link for me! :D
  • mfillpot
    If you can post a link to the guide you are using for the flash base VM setup then I think a few of us would be willing to play with it and see if we can get it to work.

Categories

Upcoming Training