Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

need help installing flashplayer on firefox

i just started using Ubuntu and the only problem i have with it is i cant figure out how to install flash player on Firefox i followed the instructions from adobe but it wont work with flash games (videos are fine) it will load the game but just wont play or accept any input from the mouse or keyboard

any help would be appreciated this is the only problem I've had so far

Comments

• Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Sometimes flash games are only meant to work in windows. If your able to play flash videos, and all works fine there, it may not be flash that is the problem. Or, maybe the instructions that you followed had an extra step, unique to Ubuntu, that was left out. On fedora, one has to do "mozilla-plugin-config" after installation, which puts the correct .so file into the appropriate folder. Once again, if videos are working, I would assume that flash is set up correctly.
    Maybe if you give us a link to one of the games that won't run, we can test it, and see if we have the same experience. At that point we may be able to give some more specific advice.
  • corec
    corec Posts: 18
    alright how about this right here
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    I have no problem playing that or any of the other madness games in google-chrome or firefox on my slackware installation. So, it appears that your problem is with how the flash was installed.

Have you attempted to install flash from the ubuntu repo instead of using adobe's package?
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Yes it's working here on Fedora 13 with Adobe Flash Plugin 10.1.85.3. My only advice at the moment would be to first go to the adobe site and check to see if Flash is working correctly:
    http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

If adobe thinks it's working and your games are still not working, maybe try to reinstall using the Ubuntu multiverse repo. Like I said earlier, there might be an extra step that Ubuntu needs for setup that installing it from their repos will solve.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/Flash

You might also consider checking what plugins you have installed, and seeing if any of them are interfering with the game. I just found out that firebug was slowing my access time, so, I've disabled it until I actually need to use it.

I don't know what hardware you're using, but, as the game was loading, I noticed that it was loading into memory. You might need more memory in order for it to run properly. But here I'm just guessing.
  • I played the game too and it work fine on my ubuntu 9.10. I did noticed that the game would slow up after extensive playing. My machine is using half of 1GB of mem. As mentioned before, uninstall adobe flash and reinstall it. You can use the .deb package file from the adobe website which is a lot easier, http://www.adobe.com/.
  • corec
    corec Posts: 18
    alright but how do you uninstall flashplayer?
    sorry but like i said im just starting out
  • Use this command in your terminal:

sudo apt-get remove --purge flashplugin-nonfree

Categories

Upcoming Training