Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Firefox Troubles

Hi, all!

I just got a new laptop (a Toshiba Satellite L675) today and I installed Ubuntu 10.04 on it with dual-boot. The only web browser I have on it is Firefox, since that's what came on the CD and I can't get online with Ubuntu to download another browser. As for hardware, the wireless thing on my computer is a Realtek RTL8191SE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC.

I'm trying to connect to the Internet using a public wi-fi network. My computer is detecting and connecting to the network just fine. However, when I open Firefox, it won't load any webpages. It gives me one of those messages that says "server not found." I looked at all of my Preferences and stuff. I don't have "Work Offline" selected, and I have Wireless Networking and Enable Connections enabled, and I'm not using a proxy. And as far as I know, I don't have any firewalls set up.

Also, at home, Ubuntu won't detect my home wireless network, so I can't connect there, either. At home, it's detecting all of the surrounding wireless networks, but not mine.

I looked at the Ubuntu Help thing about wireless troubleshooting and tried that command "sudo lshw -C network." An output came out, but I didn't see the words "Claimed," "Unclaimed," "Enabled," or "Disabled," as the Help document said should show up.

Also, just a note-- for the same networks (both the public network and my home network), I'm having no trouble connecting to it in Windows 7 and browsing the internet.

I don't have a clue what I'm supposed to do. I don't want to go back to using Windows if I can't get online with Ubuntu on this computer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Since you have checked the official tools my recommendation when you are connected to a wifi point if to open th terminal and ping the servers you wish to connect to to see if the problem is spread between all ports. If you cannot ping the servers and cannot access them through the browser then something deeper is stopping the traffic, which I would like to be able to review.

As for the home wireless it may be in response to special characters in the ssid or the type of security you are using, can you share those details here?

Categories

Upcoming Training