programs for windows on ubuntu

can i run windows or apple software on ubuntu and how can i do that

greets

filip

a new users of ubuntu

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Thank you for the site recommendation Robin, that site will help many people.
  • Jinux
    Jinux Posts: 20
    If you're not too bothered whether the alternative you choose is open source or not (99% of programs for Linux will be though) I suggest alternativeTo.
  • Just to offer a bit of advice: there are certain programs that you will need to emulate to get exactly what you want. I personally use WINE for Photoshop and Steam. Other than that, I really recommend trying out the open source alternatives. Often time, you'll find the the open source alternative to a program is more functional, less restrictive, and hey it's free!

A big part of transitioning into Linux is breaking some of the bonds that windows has on you. That's a good way.

Also, I've never heard about an emulation of OSX for Linux, but it may be out there. Unfortunately I have to run to work right now and don't have time to check!
  • roobal
    roobal Posts: 25
    dixiedancer wrote:
    Alot of people dual-boot just for that reason.

Or there is also other possibility - virtualization, of course if you don't play games with 3D acceleration but here is a problem with license. With Windows XP or Windows 7 is better situation but with Vista is not so good. First problem is that you can virtualize only Business or Ultimate edition and second problem is that when you have OEM license for Windows and you have activated you windows you cannot install it on virtual machine and even if you do that, your license code may be locked :)
  • saqman2060
    saqman2060 Posts: 777
    You can also go to synaptic package manager, and do a search for the programs you prefer to use. Ubuntu will give you a list of alternative programs that it determines will offer the same functionality.

Categories

Upcoming Training