Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Installing software

Options

Hey guys and girls. How do I open the software after I download to to my computer. What extension do I open it in? Is it in .exe or .bat, what??????

Thanks in advance,

Signed by (A new Linux user)

Keith

Comments

• Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Options
    Installing software in Linux is as easy as going into your Add/Remove Software app (That's in most distros menus), choosing a program, then clicking on install. There will then be a choice in one of your menus where you can run the program. If your trying to install something from outside the apps that your Linux distro provides, then, we'll need more info about what your trying to do.
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Options
    Only windows is dependent on extensions for file associations, everything else can tell what kind of file it is by the header in the file itself. With that being the case executable files are notated by the executable rights being applied to the files. Generally files ending with tar.gz or tar.bz2 are source code archives, the most frequent exertions for installer packages (like .msi files in windows) are .rpm or .deb.

I agree with the other. Depending on your chosen distro the methods will differ, which is actually a good thing because there are different methods suitable for different options.

Please respond by telling us what distro you are using and exactly which programs you wish to install.

Categories

Upcoming Training