Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Connecting My Server To A Wireless Router

Options

Hello,

I am running Ubuntu Server. I want to move my server from a data center into my home office. I am going to get a static IP from my internet provider (Comcast). I have one cable modem hooked up into a wireless router. If I connect my server to the wireless router, will I be able to access my website? Or is it more complicated than that?

My question is, what steps do I need to take in order to make this transition work?

1. Obtain a static IP

2. Point my domain name to the new IP address (not sure if I'm saying that correctly, but I think it needs to get done as well)

Thanks for the help.

Henry

Comments

• woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    Options
    On your server, use a local static IP address route-able on your LAN behind the router-based firewall. Then you will need to "poke a hole" in your router so that it will accept connections to the external static IP address you have been assigned by Comcast and will route the specified ports (such as port 80 for HTML web access) to your local server IP address. Make sure that you also verify that other ports are properly blocked at the router, otherwise you will quickly be pwnd by blackhats on the web, and make sure that you are running the latest (secure) version of your web server and operating system software. Failure to do so will quickly result in undesirable results... :-)

Categories

Upcoming Training