Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

2 problems on an ASUS K50IJ laptop

Sterist
Sterist Posts: 18

Hello!

this is my first post on these forums and i'd like to say i've never felt more at home without knowing anyone around me.

so, i got a new laptop just over a month ago and immediately set it up to dual boot ubuntu with the preinstalled win7 and i've only had 2 problems i cannot fix or find any information on for this laptop model:

#1 the screen brightness applet for the panel(s) does not work, and there are no drivers for this model in the Software Center. it's either 100% or off (cover closed)

#2 this laptop does not have a wifi switch, and no network manager or application from the Software Center that i've found can enable or disable the wifi. the only method i have is to hibernate & wake up, which presents another problem, the only way to get wifi back on is to reboot.

can anyone offer any insight on these issues? i can provide any necessary information on the hardware.

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    I am sorry, but I am unfamiliar with gnome and ubuntu's applets so I cannot help with those.

Nearly every driver you will ever need is already included as part of the kernel, what drivers are you looking for?

Are you familiar enough with with the system to tell me what wireless card your system is using and what module is being used for your wireless?
  • Sterist
    the WLAN card is:
    Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter

(internal)

the device manager will tell me details about the driver version and the last update etc but it won't give me the actual name. any idea how to get that?
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    I don't know how to get all of that in windows, but you are lucky to have an Atheros wifi card, this card will be supported out of the box using the ath9k driver.
  • woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    The built-in hardware screen brightness controls (usually FN-up or FN-dn key combos) that you use with Windoze will also work (or should work) with Ubuntu. I do that on my Dell laptop with Ubuntu 9.04 installed.

As for the networking, go to the System->Administration->Networking menu entry. You need to first enable networking, and then enable wireless. There should be a check-box to enable the icon on the docking bar on the top of the screen.
  • Sterist
    woboyle wrote:
    The built-in hardware screen brightness controls (usually FN-up or FN-dn key combos) that you use with Windoze will also work (or should work) with Ubuntu. I do that on my Dell laptop with Ubuntu 9.04 installed.

As for the networking, go to the System->Administration->Networking menu entry. You need to first enable networking, and then enable wireless. There should be a check-box to enable the icon on the docking bar on the top of the screen.

negative, and, negative.

the Function key does not work at all under ubuntu.

disabling wireless does not turn wifi off, judging by the Wifi light staying on or otherwise not turning on when resuming from sleep / hibernate.

Categories

Upcoming Training