Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

help me

i hvae 2 heard disks.

one is 40 gb and another is 160 gb.

then i installed redhat linux 5 version in 40 gb heard disk.

and installed win xp2 in 160 gb heard disk.

my problem is when on computer i get only win XP OS .

iam not getting 2 opereating systems at atime on black screen to choose by UP and DO WN arrow keys wihile put on computer .

what i do ?

suggest me

thank u.

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Your issue is exactly why we always recommend to install windows first on dual boot systems. Windows will always assume it is your only operating system, it will overwrite any other bootloader that may have been installed.

You will need to boot into your RedHat installation disk, launch the recovery options to reinstall grub, then modify the grub configuration file to add the option to boot windows.

I am unfamiliar with RedHat5, so I cannot give specific instructions. But a post on the recovery steps from Fedora at http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/recover-grub-bootloader-after-win-install-315424/ should guide you in the right direction.
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    This is from the fedora manual a.k.a redhat

17.2.1. Reinstalling the Boot Loader
    In many cases, the GRUB boot loader can mistakenly be deleted, corrupted, or replaced by other operating systems.
    The following steps detail the process on how GRUB is reinstalled on the master boot record:

Boot the system from an installation boot medium.
    Type linux rescue at the installation boot prompt to enter the rescue environment.
    Type chroot /mnt/sysimage to mount the root partition.
    Type /sbin/grub-install bootpart to reinstall the GRUB boot loader, where bootpart is the boot partition (typically, /dev/sda).
    Review the /boot/grub/grub.conf file, as additional entries may be needed for GRUB to control additional operating systems.
    Reboot the system.
  • JohnVV
    JohnVV Posts: 6
    a bit late , but ...

also Please PAY red hat for the updates ( buy a license and access to RHN )
    RHEL5.5 is NOT FREE
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    JohnVV wrote:
    a bit late , but ...

also Please PAY red hat for the updates ( buy a license and access to RHN )
    RHEL5.5 is NOT FREE

I agree about paying for the updates from the commercial distributions, the money paid to them gives them part of the income necessary to pay their developers for kernel and other Linux related advancements.

Would any of the paid RedHat updates have given him tools to recover from or prevent his bootloader issue?
  • you problem is grub, use a live distribution

The first thing to do is start the live-cd and open a terminal. Then write the following to see the partitions on the drives:

$ Sudo fdisk-l
    Then we see which is the partition where Ubuntu and we got on / mnt (in most cases, this partition is sda1, the example I will make that partition but look what your partition with the fdisk command):

$ Sudo mount / dev/sda1 / mnt
    Now mount the other devices:

$ Sudo mount - bind / dev / mnt / dev
    And running the chroot command as root so that we access the file system of our old Ubuntu:

$ Sudo chroot / mnt
    Finally load the Grub in the MBR by running the following command:

# Grub-install - Recheck / dev / sda
    (Sda it should be replaced with the hard disk used to boot operating systems, almost always sda. Ojo! Not put the number of partition, only sda)

Reboot and when to restart ubuntu (not the live-cd), we can adjust manually grub menu to display the boot menu in the new operating system we deleted the MBR, or let him do it automatically the following command:

$ Sudo update-grub2
    If the command does not work, you may need to install the package grub2:

$ Sudo aptitude install grub2

Note. If you have a boot on separate partition
    After mounting the file system on / mnt (with the command sudo mount / dev/sda1 / mnt), you must also mount the boot partition with the following command:

sudo mount / dev/sda2 / mnt / boot

Note the commands are examples, you put the partition where you installed linux

example here
    hd0: the first full disk, like hda or sda
    hd0, 0: is the first partition of first hard disk, like hda1 or sda1
    hd0, 1: is the second partition of first hard disk, like hda2 or sda2
    hd1, 2 is the third partition of second hard drive, like hdb3 or sdb3

Categories

Upcoming Training