Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Fedora Update

herks1
herks1 Posts: 1

Hi,

I''m a new LINUX user, and I am trying to update my operating system, which is way out of date. I am current ly running Fedora version 2.6.18-1.2869. I need help creating a mirror list and updating my repository file. Thanks for you help

Kirk

Comments

• Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Your version of fedora is very old, updating to the most recent Fedora 13 will be fraught with danger. :) You might want to consider making a backup of your important files and then doing a fresh install. Anyway, before you try anything, you should backup your important files.
    I usually use the yum update method of bringing the distro up from one version to the next, but, since the repos for your version are far since closed, you would have to pull the files from koji.
    Another method I use for updates would be to download the DVD, it has an update option on it to do an update, but as I said before, updating from that old a version can cause problems.

To answer your question about changing your repositories. There is an app called "fedora-release-13-1" (the most recent version) which if you install it, will set your repos, lsb-release, fedora-release etc., to the current version. From there, if your adventurous, you can perform a yum update and hope for the best.

Let me know what you decide. My advice would be a fresh install, but, if you want to update, I'll help as best I can.

BTW - could you post the results of:
    cat /etc/fedora-release

So we can see what the starting point will actually be.
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    GoinEAsy9,
    Thank you for responding to this inquiry. As you know I don't use Fedora, so my input is limited.
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Updating Fedora is a very interesting exercise. The Official way is not always the easiest or trouble free. Since I only started using Fedora a year ago, I'm curious as to which version contained the 2.6.18 kernel, and if the OP decides to upgrade, whether such an upgrade over that many versions will work.
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    You touched on a question that I have been pondering for a while, the upgrade functions among distros. I know very well how to upgrade Slackware, but the upgrade methods used on Fedora, Ubunut, Gentoo, etc.. are all foreign to me. If the distros were to come up with a unified upgrade method then it would simplify the process and allow people to use an upgrade procedure to convert an installation from one distro to another. That may be a good concept for a future project. ;)

Categories

Upcoming Training