Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Choosing a Match Distro

Hi all,

I'm new in using linux and i want to migrate since linux is free and I don't have much money to buy windows.

i'm confused my much distro of linux. my friends suggested me to use ubuntu 10.04 so I tried to install it to my laptop but then it's failed. now I'm looking for distro that match for my laptop and my school activities also for gaming.

my laptop's components :

system manuacturer : HP

model : CQ41-224TX

CPU : Intel Core i3 M350 @2.27Ghz

Memory : 2 GB DDR3 SO-DIMM 7-7-7-20 4-27-6 1T

Chipset Model : HP Core(Auburndale/Havendale)DRAM Controller

Disk Controller Model : HP P55/PM55/3400 4 port SATA AHCI Controller

Audio Device Model : HP RV730XT Audio Device [Radeon HD 4670]

Ethernet Adapter : Atheros AR9285 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter

GPU : ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4350

games :

world of warcraft, halo, devil may cry 3-4

I also like to do some programmings.

my questions :

1. what is the most suitable linux distro that i can install/use?

2. can I have all drivers installed correctly if I use linux?

3. can i play those games as well as in windows?

thanks for helping me in advance,

regards,

-anwar-

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Ubuntu is a good distro for beginner, but the chances are that whatever kept ubuntu from working on your system may also hinder other distros. Rather than jumping around it would be valuable to figure out why ubuntu did not work and correct the configuration issue that is causing you problems.

2. Ubuntu and most linux distros should have nearly all drivers necessary built into the kernel, I know for a fact that your wifi drivers are built into the kernel and will work out of the box, but I have had mixed results with ati video cards.

3. WOW will work in a windows application emulator like Crossover Games which must be purchased, but the other games you listed have had many reports stating they either do not work or are buggy running in emulators.

If you want to keep playing those windows based games then it would be best if you setup your system for dual boot and use windows for the games and linux for everything else.
  • mfillpot
    you can check the crossover games compatibility list at http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility
  • shadesia
    shadesia Posts: 9
    what about linux mint?
    is that easy as ubuntu?
  • mfillpot
    Mint is another good option, and it is recommended by many.
  • marc
    marc Posts: 647
    What about Opensuse? I heard the 11.3 release is pretty close....
  • shadesia
    i don't know, i've opened http://www.opensuse.org and it's still 11.2 version.
    is that suitable for my pc?
  • marc
    marc Posts: 647
    I don't really know, it should work.

About the 11.3, they are at a RC state. Give it a try if you want to :D
  • shadesia
    why does everybody suggest me to use ubuntu if I'm new in linux?
    what is thing that ubuntu has and the other don't?
  • gomer
    gomer Posts: 158
    Ubuntu and Mint, and a few other distributions were designed from the ground up w/ converts and newbies in mind. They are designed to be very user-friendly and to be very functional right from the point of installation. They are also intended to appeal to the broadest audience possible, too. The end result is a distribution that may not be as customizable (at least through the GUI) as some veterans may like, but they are distributions that provide a smooth and comfortable user experience right out of the gate. Another factor in considering a distribution for new users is the size and activity of the distribution's user community. Ubuntu has, in my opinion, one of the largest and easiest to use / access support structures out there. Between the Ubuntu Guide(s), the Ubuntu Forums, and Launchpad (and of course sites like this one) there are plenty of places for a new user to turn to for help and guidance.

make sens?

If you want a point of comparison, look at the installation instructions for a distribution like Gentoo or Slackware.

Another good resource for understanding the recommendations you get is look the distro's up in distro watch. It should become clear at that point, too.

Categories

Upcoming Training