Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

USB wireless adapter help

hey i'm thinkin of getting a USB that can catch wi-fi signals. what would i have to do to get that working properly with puppy 5.0? so please help me i want to get internet on that thing as soon as possible.

Comments

• marc
    marc Posts: 647
    If puppy has Network Manager (and probably does) you won't need to do anything if the adapter you buy has drivers for linux (at most it won't charge them automatically and you'll have to make the machine do it editing a file ;) )

Have a look at this forums, this has been asked before (for a usb wireless adapter ) :)
  • jabirali
    jabirali Posts: 157
    I agree with Marc, getting it to work should be quite easy if the adapter has native Linux drivers. Since it sounds like you haven't already bought an adapter, you should check out this list of USB wireless adapters with native drivers:
    http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Devices/USB
  • bllueskull
    bllueskull Posts: 22
    marc wrote:
    if the adapter you buy has drivers for linux (at most it won't charge them automatically and you'll have to make the machine do it editing a file
    how hard is it to do the editing? where can i get the software for it?
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Most Linux distros already come packed with all the software you need to do editing. If something is missing, the package manager that comes with each distro (usually Titled Add/Remove Software) can install whatever app you need.
  • jabirali
    bllueskull wrote:
    how hard is it to do the editing? where can i get the software for it?
    If you buy one of the adapters from the list I linked to above, it should be straight-forward to determine what driver and firmware to use. You would then have to install these, and use a text editor to add one word to the file /etc/modules. The network settings should then be configurable graphically.
  • bllueskull
    alright i'm gonna be straight forward here, i'm 15 just started this not even 3 days ago. explain it to me like a retard. :D
  • jabirali
    The point was just that the wireless adapter should either work out of the box, or be quite easy to configure, as long as you stick to one of the adapters on this list ;)
  • bllueskull
    thank you thats alot easier. soooooo anyone have the new puppy? and would like to explain how to save it to my hard drive?
  • marc
    marc Posts: 647
    bllueskull wrote:
    thank you thats alot easier. soooooo anyone have the new puppy? and would like to explain how to save it to my hard drive?

I don't know Puppy, although if it's a user friendly distro, it will pop a message once you insert the usb stick. Then you'll be able to use the stick as another folder in your filemanager.

Play around a bit, you'll see that linux is not that difficult ;)
  • bllueskull
    yeah i'll do that i'm pretty sure i'll mess it up though.

Categories

Upcoming Training