Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Feedback Ch 28. Network Devices and Configuration

Options

Such static name resolution is primarily used for local, small, isolated networks. It is generally checked before DNS is attempted to resolve an address; however, this priority can be controlled by the /etc/nsswitch.conf file, but it is not often used today.

I think the way this sentence is written would assume the nsswitch conf file isn't used much today, but it certainly is. In my work, I had a hell of a time initially with NFS home directories between local, NIS, and SSSD (Active Directory) accounts until I learned of its existence.

I would add "for the purpose of static name resolution" to the end of the sentence to be more clear.

Thank you,
Kevin
P.S.
Boy is this chapter a lot of material! Phoooweee.

P.P.S. I'm not sure if the forums is the best place for intermediary feedback, but such a small change doesn't seem like something I'll remember by the time I reach the feedback at the end of the course.

Comments

• luisviveropena
    luisviveropena Posts: 1,159
    edited April 4
    Options

Hi @rineerk,

I took a look at this, and I still think that the /etc/nsswitch.conf file is not often used today. In fact I would say it's mainly used for working with LDAP authentication, and not everyone uses it.

In the case of NIS, I'd would say it's deprecated. In fact Red Hat discontinued the support for NIS because it's considered insecure, as you can see here:

https://access.redhat.com/solutions/5991271

Regards,
    Luis.

Categories

Upcoming Training