Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

file editors

Hi all, I could use a little help. I am in college and currently taking a Linux course. We are doing a report and need info on common features of Linux file editors. I can find all kinds of tutorials and such for many of the editors that are common to Linux, but nothing that really tells what the features are. Maybe I'm reading more into her question or misunderstanding it. Craig

Comments

• Here's a list for gedit that was in a recent UBUNTU user magazine article:

http://live.gnome.org/Gedit/Plugins

I know, they're plugins, but that's a good place to keep features...
  • MikeEnIke
    MikeEnIke Posts: 88
    Try this website. It gives you a list of text editors in Linux, and when you click on them it gives you a detailed list of features and such. Hope that helps.
  • woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    MikeEnIke wrote:
    Try this website. It gives you a list of text editors in Linux, and when you click on them it gives you a detailed list of features and such. Hope that helps.
    One editor conspicuous by its absence on the noted web site is Nedit, a grapical editor that is one of my favorites for general text and program editing. It has intelligent syntax highlighting for just about every language known, brace-matching, smart indenting, easy-to-use macro capabilities. It is currently hosted on SourceForge.net, but was developed at Fermi National Laboratory in Batavia, Illinois - our tax dollars at work! It is fully open source, and has about the best regular expression support for search/replace of any editor I know of. Anyway, it is definitely worth looking at for your paper.
  • gomer
    gomer Posts: 158
    For any project like that, a good start is to hit wikipedia as was suggested. In fact, if you have a moment, just enter "comparison of" and "list of" into wikipedia's serach engine. There are TONS of articles like that in there.

Categories

Upcoming Training