Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

How do I format or partition with Linux

Options

I was given a computer that is set up with Linux. After playing with it for a few days I have decided that I want to reformat the HD and install a Windows OS. I tried popping in the windows DVD, and it wont read it. I changed my boot priority to CD drive in the bios settings, and it still wont read. I tried with my DBAN boot disk that I know has worked on other computers and I cant get this to work either.

I tried to ask the guy who gave us the machine how I can do this, but I have not gotten a response from him.

To my knowledge there is no windows partition.

If there is anyone out there who can help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

I am not looking to start a debate on Linux vs.Windows.

I am not trying to flame Linux, its just a preference thing.

I am not looking for advice on how to set up windows, this I can handle once I figure out how to format the disk, or make a partition that can be formatted to ntfs.

Thank you in advance.

Clay

Comments

• Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Options
    If your bios is pointed to boot from the cdrom drive, it doesn't matter that there is a linux distro on your hard drive, it will boot from the cd or dvd. Unless there is a problem with your hardware, or the contents of the cd/dvd.
  • MikeEnIke
    MikeEnIke Posts: 88
    Options
    If it is directed to the CD drive in BIOS and nothing happens, you may want to check to see if the CD-ROM is working. Boot into windows and put any type of CD in, it it reads it then the problem may be more complicated, if not the machine has a faulty CD drive.
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Options
    There are several ways to modify and format partitions in Linux based operating systems, depending on the installed distro it can vary in complexity. The simplest way is to install a program called gparted which is a user friendly GUI for partitioning.

However if you are just planning to install windows over it then there is no need to look into Linux partitioning tools because from the windows installer you can select to delete all existing partitions and make new windows formatted partitions.

The real issue at hand is the fact that you cannot boot from CD-ROM or DVD, this has nothing to do with the OS, it is most likely the result of a bios misconfiguration or hardware issue. I would seriously consider replacing the DVD-rom with one you have from a working computer to confirm if the problem is a bad dvd-rom.
  • woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    Options
    You say you are trying to boot Windows from a DVD. Have you determined if your computer has a DVD drive, and not just a CD drive?

Categories

Upcoming Training