Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

specal linux

There had been an ideal in m head for quite a while.... Make a WII run SUSE. I need developers coders and testers!

Comments

• Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    While my time is limited to my own projects, you might want to take a look at this link:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/wii-linux/
  • gomer
    gomer Posts: 158
    check out game-cube linux, which has been ported to the wii (most of the code was reusable), archii, which is Arch linux on the wii, and you can also bootstrap debian on the wii. I would imagine that as long as SUSE maintains a package repository for PowerPC archtitecture, it should take minimal effort to get it to run on a wii.
  • This sounds very interesting! And I'm sure the Linux kernel would run just as good on a Wii as any other device. Getting Wii run Linux, would no doubt allow us to customize special uses for the Wii the designers did not intend (somewhat like custom firmware). However I don't see the project succeeding to the point in which Linux will exceed the gaming capabilities set by the original Wii OS. We might be able to get the Wii to run Home brewed games, and Linux might very well run more efficiently then the original OS but I don't think its..... meh w/e It would still be interesting to run Linux on the Wii, so good luck and hope it works out.

We seem to want to run Linux on everything these days :D but at least its for good reason. I think if I was to install Linux on a Wii it would be because you never know what your getting in closed source... It gives me chills because it makes me feel like I'm in a dark room :s
  • gomer
    gomer Posts: 158
    Jacob, one thing I intend to do once I get Linux running on my Wii is I intend to use it to run MythTV. That way, I get the benfit of an entertainment PC attached to my big TV, w/out have to spend the $$ on another pc.

That, and well, sometimes, I get Linux running on something just beacuse I want to tell people I did it.
  • I never thought of that lol, yeah it would be really cool to run MythTV on the Wii. I guess when you open the source up anything is possible. Yeah I was never really opposed to the idea, it would actually be really cool to run Linux on the Wii. I guess what I was trying to say, is that I thought it might prove to be somewhat difficult in developing the project to support gaming, such as playing animal crossing. I am probably wrong, my standpoint is merely speculative. However when applying Linux to the Wii, for example as you stated with MythTv, I can see allot of value for having Linux installed. Plus like you, I would also like to install Linux on the Wii just to tell people I did lol. Having Linux run on a Wii would indeed provide unique benefits.

Categories

Upcoming Training