Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Installation of e16 / DR17 enlightenment Desktop

jhaskins75
jhaskins75 Posts: 128

Re: installation of e16-1.0.2 Package

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhaskins75 View Post

I viewed the new e16 enlightenment Window X desktop theme package an wanted to know before I install it, Do I already have that package with the 9.10 OS, and if not, It is a .sn install version and the installation notes are in script language. Must I use the terminal to install it or can I force an install. When I tried to open it to all files, I can view them, but they open my Wine program, then the window just disappears. Is this e16 1.0.2 version compatible with Linux? [ deb, rpm etc....

This a question I posted on Ubuntu.com, but have not receivec a reply as of yet, hoping I could get an answer here

I see i have 29 views and no replys or answers. I think I can make my question a little clearer. The new release of the Dr16 & EFL version of Enlightenment was released on Jan. 24, 2010 and with this release are several file type downloads available via SourceForce and I downloaded the .sn version but cannot open it. I went to the terminal and used the sudo apt-get install package which found the version 1.0.0.1, which is not what I want. Long story short. They list five versions

Source package rpm

Linux i386 binary rpm

GENTOO Linux

Debian gnu/linux deb

suse linux {pacman}

I need to know which one of these versions are correct for Ubuntu 9.10. I have instructions on how to extract the 'tarball'. But I just need the best version for my system. I am still very new to Linux [ 2 weeks ] and I still need help and advice from all you Master Geeks from Linux world. I have a list of commands dedicated to dumb starter like myself from Ubuntu.com, but I rather not experiment, but heed the best advice from professionals who have downloaded e16 1.0.2 to their system. ' Waiting patiently for an answer, John'

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    ubuntu is a Debian derivative, so you will want the Debian package. However E16 is a core component of gnome and is very lightweight, I would recommend trying to install DR17, it is a bet but it is very impressive.

I just installed DR17 on my slackware laptop a few minutes ago from source.
  • jhaskins75
    Hello Karma. I downloaded the e17 version, but it is by all description, an older version, and I am very new to Linux and haven't developed the finesse in how to fully open / install some of these type packages. I know somewhat how to use the terminal [ to install-sudo apt-get install package name ] and sometimes it works, sometimes not. I want the latest version as you have. So my question is, were do I find the download source you used and how do I open it after I download it. The version I just downloaded was the 'slacke17 version, but I want the newer package. Can you help me? My present OS is the Ubuntu 9.10. Thank you, John
  • mfillpot
    You cannot install the slackware version in ubuntu it is using a completely different package manager and different configuration file structure.

Generally after you install a new window manager in a distro you will have to select it at the login screen. i am unsure where the "session" button is on the ubuntu login screen, but when you find it you will see option to use gnome or enlightenment, select you choice then enter you credentials and it will open.

This is a Linux native application so you will not have to use wine, wine is only to be used to open windows based applications.

I will jump over to my ubuntu installation now to see it I can get it to install and load.
  • jhaskins75
    Karma, I really appreciate you taking the time in working with me on this matter. I have automatic log on, so I do not see a session window displayed, but I notice that in my synaptic manger e16 and dr17 are listed as installed, as well as updated. Maybe I need to find a way to access my log in screen for sessions. I am running windows 7 as well as Ubuntu on the same drive and when the master boot window appears, it shows my Ubuntu version as well as my window 7 loader. Ubuntu is set to load first by default, and when it does, I do not see a password log in screen appear. I wish I were more knowledgeable, but I am extremely new to Linux and need all the help I can get. I will await your results on your findings. Thank you, John
  • mfillpot
    I did get e17 installed in ubuntu 9.10, but I probably used a different source than you.

So here are the steps I took to install it.

Open a Terminal
    Type the following to log in as the root user.
    sudo bash

Type the following to add the enlightenment repo to your source list
    echo "deb http://packages.enlightenment.org/ubuntu jaunty main extras">>/etc/apt/sources.list

Tell apt-get to update you package lists, you will get a warning about not getting a key, it is safe to ignore in this case.
    apt-get update

Tell apt-get to install the e17 core and dependencies,
    apt-get install e17

Log out of the root terminal
    exit

Once all of that is done you can log out of gnome, go the the login screen, choose you username, choose the enlightenment session from the bottom of the screen, then enter your password and enter.

Once it pops up you will have to choose a few configuration options then it will load.

As a warning e17 is only a beta release and it does have bugs, in my case it did not connect with the network manager and when I went back into gnome the windows borders were missing.

Now since you do not get a login screen, In gnome you will have to go to System -> Adminstration -> Login Screen, click unlock, enter your password, then select "Show the screen for choosing who will log in" and click close. Once that is done you can log out and see the log in screen.
  • mfillpot
    I have chose to use the jaunty enlightenment packages since they have not released karmic packages, these do work in 9.10.
  • jhaskins75
    thank you very much. I will follow your instructions and let you know the results. You are truly the Master Geek....:)
  • mfillpot
    I am not used to the run around in ubuntu, so there will be things I cannot answer, but I will try. ;)

Hopefully some ubuntu gurus will follow the installation guide to install e17 and will then be able to offer some of their help.
  • jhaskins75
    Wow....Have you ever entered a room and all of a sudden the lights go out and you forgot were the switch is located? That is what I just went through. Everything you said to do was absolutely perfect. The complete environment of e16 was like day and night. I was totally lost. No image, no desktop, no nothing. This is truly the old version and nothing like what is pictured for the DR17 release. After trying different log in and gnome, kde , e16, john's desktop, etc. I finally got back to my original and I truly equated this as a prayer being answered. I have not given up, and I will follow your directions again. this time, I will select the DR17 version as the install. I needed this lesson as a educational experience. believe me, it was scary. I will stay in touch, cause out of all and everyone, you gave me exactly what I requested. What a learning curve. I been with Windows sense 95, and when this happened, I said ' Oh Sh%^, did I screw up the registry or what? get back with you real soon...Thank you again..John:dry:
  • jhaskins75
    just one more thing or two. Here is my present setup..
  • jhaskins75
    jhaskins75 wrote:
    just one more thing or two. Here is my present setup..

sorry, the image capture of my present desktop is beyond the size allowed. I will see if I can post it to ticpic,com for you to view as a link....
  • mfillpot
    You will have to remove all the packages for e16 and e17 that you installed in the past before doing the installation from the packages I recommended. The issue you are dealing with is commonly referred to as "dependency hell", gnome, e16 and e17 all refer to dependent packages by the same name, but the versions you have installed are incorrect for one or more sides and you cannot install more than one version of each dependency.

Since the auto-dependency resolution is use in ubuntu, you are most likely unaware of the exact chain of dependencies that each set installed so it will be very hard to remove all of them. The best bet is to start with a fresh installation of ubuntu 9.10 , do the updates, then follow my instructions.

I have been curious, what are your motivation for using Linux based systems? Do you plan to be an administrator or just a user? And is this for personal testing use or for a production environment?
  • jhaskins75
    the web page is www.tinypic.com to view my captured screenshot of my desktop at present and the one I would like [DR17 ]15xllav.jpg

That is the official link for forum and message windows img code to open the viewer at tinypic.
  • mfillpot
    can you post a larger image at http://imageshack.us so I can see all items? and what are you pushing to display with this image since it is of your gnome desktop?
  • mfillpot
    Also this screenshot is of my e17 desktop, this will give you a better understanding of how it should be formatted when e17 is properly installed.

e17.png
  • jhaskins75
    Answer one. I am not planing to be an administrator. This was just a personal project. I do need the education for this new system, but I plan on just being a novelist for now. In a short period of time, I have learned a great deal and I am going to enroll in linux classes to learn more. Thank you for all of your assistance in giving me insight to this great OS..
  • jhaskins75
    :woohoo: That is exactly what I want!!!!!!! that is truly sensational and visually exciting.
  • mfillpot
    jhaskins75 wrote:
    Answer one. I am not planing to be an administrator. This was just a personal project. I do need the education for this new system, but I plan on just being a novelist for now. In a short period of time, I have learned a great deal and I am going to enroll in linux classes to learn more. Thank you for all of your assistance in giving me insight to this great OS..

Thanks for the prompt response, I asked the questions to assess what kind of steps I should share and how to address your questions in reference to usability. When someone is working on a production system there are far more steps of caution that must be performed. Since you are currently doing it for personal testing and open for the trial and error method then your learning can become quite eventful and fun.

One of the things that irritates me the most about Linux based projects is the desktop managers, KDE is trying to be like windows and gnome is trying to be like mac. But there are several hundred WMs to choose from, but most don't have the in-depth framework that gnome and KDE use. E17 is a whole new beast, it's desktop manager interface is unlike anything else and has so much potential, and the framework is as in-depth as with gnome and kde. It has been in beta (testing) since 1999 and probably won't be out for some time due to app incompatibilities, but once it is done it has the potential to really separate the user experience in Linux from that of other operating systems.
  • mfillpot
    Also, since you are playing around I will show you my KDE4 desktop.
    kde4.png

As you may have noticed I am not showing a gnome desktop, this is because I do not like the feel and configuration options in gnome. gnome configuration is simplified, but it also doesn't seem to be as productive or visually appealing to me so I only use it to help other diagnose gnome problems.
  • jhaskins75
    Just checking in with you as I said I would. I deleted all instances of any e16 configurations and sense the dr17 package was still listed, I went to my synaptic manager a checked all available packages related to dr17 and updated it, logged off and logged back in, selecting enlightenment and everything went absolutely perfectly. I am learning how to negotiate around the menus, which are a little tenacious, but manageable. Getting the desktop configurations were a little tricky. DR17 gives you 4 desktops to choose from. The themes and background seem not to respond. It is the same program associated with Gnome, so I went on line to download the available backgrounds, but they would not install for enlightenment. I had to save them to my picture file, then set them as the background. Strangely, the ones I downloaded, showed up on my Gnome desktop. I notice during my log in screen that I have two Ubuntu's installed. One is listed as John,s Desktop and the other is listed as Ubuntu 9.10. This occurred in my earlier stage of loading the Ubuntu software as a download from the web, which somehow after a couple of days, it crashed. So I then made an ISO DVD of the Ubuntu program and loaded to my drive. I do not want to attempt to delete either one of them sense they ride Window 7 on a single drive. I do have a partition I labeled 'H' and copied Ubuntu files to it for an emergency if a problem should arise. The 'Wine' feature available for Linux sucks big time. It only allows one program associated with Windows to function, and that is notepad. Strangely again, In it's utility folder, it list like 15 programs, and none of them will open or run. Well, back to the drawing board. I was sitting in the back of the class, but I have moved to the middle now. Feels good, John... :woohoo:
  • mfillpot
    The error with no background and themes seems like it is also related to mismatched dependencies. Since you are using the wubi installer and ubuntu is installed within windows it can be quite easy to just remove the disk files and reinstall it.

The enlightenment themes and wallpapers are stored in .edj files, you can link other wallpapers is more traditional formats but the .edj files include the animation and additional items.

You can get the e17 themes, wallpapers, etc... from http://e17-stuff.org/ and http://exchange.enlightenment.org/

It is just good to see that you are making progress and learning more about the customizable nature of Linux based systems.
  • jhaskins75
    Time to move up a notch. ' question' must I be in the enlightenment window to download these ejb files? I was able to install the viewer to see the background image, but I was in the standard gnome window. There is some impressive language I must enter in the terminal to install this package, but I am ready to give it a go.....
  • mfillpot
    It is easier than you think, you can download the files from any application, then when in enlightenment you can go to the settings menu then to theme or whatever you are looking and choose to install from a file.
  • jhaskins75
    1215rte.jpg I I did it, I did it, I did it.....never give in, never say die. what a life. You must bear with me. I just love gadgets, themes, and crazy emotions icons. I followed your instructions to a ' T '. the link is to my picture upload site. www.tinypic.com that img link is specially for forum and web page inserts. I think I will take a breather for a few...burnt out! And that's a lie! I will wake up at 3 in the morning like a mad scientist...Any way..Thanks for everything......Next, I am going to tackle that 'Wine ' program. Got to make it at lease come alive, cause it's surely is dead........
  • mfillpot
    It is good to see that you have reached a point of happiness. Now through your inquiry this has prompted me to write a e17 installation and configuration guide so the same steps can be used to help others.

Good luck with wine,don't forget to check the wine appdb to see if the apps you want to try are supported.
  • jhaskins75
    Hate to say this, but all my Ubuntu OS just crashed completely. something attributed to the Gnome feature. I felt something was wrong earlier. I can run it on a live CD. I tried the recovery mode, but that did not help. It will not recognize my password to allow me access. The culprit was 'Wine ' when I tried to upgrade to the newer version 1.0.1. I had a few little bugs in enlightenment with a window opened to full with no way to x out or minimize. This was the download folder. Never fear. It will be a breeze for me to reinstall. All your info is saved to my drafts on my ISP server [ Comcast } as well as with in the forum. If I run into a snag, I will get back with you in a few. This also will give me the time to install it the right way without the conflicts associated with 2 Ubuntu's on the same partition. I am doing a clean install of those additional partitions and a clean download from the cd. Will keep you updated......John
  • mfillpot
    This is both unfrotunate and beneficial. Now with your clean installation you can follow my instructions to install e17 properly without the dependency conflicts. did you install wine from the official repos or grab it from antoher source?
  • jhaskins75
    Karma, Karma, Karma, your name evokes the mystic enlightenment of knowledge supreme. I guess you are saying, how in the He#@ is this guy so calm after a system meltdown? Well, I have been there before. With Windows its a breeze to recover, cause nothing really disappears from the drive, and I have a partician Manger installed, plus a start updisk, which basically is pure trash. I cleared all instances of the old Ubuntu:dry: and I reformatted the main drive, and except for that bad taste left in your mouth, it's like losing your best friend, I rebooted, only to find the GRUN something would not let windows start. So you know then, instead of panicking, I leaned back, took a deep breath, cursed the computer Gods and said, if I still have the use of 'F8', I am in business. Restore to an earlier time, always works. But here is the joy. None of this would have worked without the Ubuntu Installation CD. I chose to run it along side windows, and it removed any traces of the old Ubuntu setup and allowed me to access the Window 7 loader, which gave me the opportunity to go to F8. I was like a child chasing that cherry lollipop. I learned a valuable lesson here, and I am only going to use the basics in Ubuntu and I am still downloading DR17 Enlightenment. But you are right. I have to be careful with Gnome. The main problem that cause all this besides me experimenting with every Damn applet I could install, was this error about the Grub Installer could not be found. Anyway, I'm back in the saddle again. Now let's see, what can I tinker with now, Opps, there I go, off to the races..................B) :woohoo: :laugh:
  • mfillpot
    I am enjoying your journey, this is bringing me back to the good old days when I experienced the same issues. Every error and issue is another oportunity to learn, enjoy the journey and you will come out with greater understanding when it is over.
  • jhaskins75
    I downloaded wine from Source web site. It was on www.hqwine.com It is the latest release 1.0.1 which is supposed to fix all the bugs associated with wine. But I am going to leave wine completely alone. If I need any windows features, I will just switch back to windows.

Categories

Upcoming Training